This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Topological Optimization of Clutch Fork using Fnite Element Analyses
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 02, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Since its advent in the years 1960's, finite element analysis (FEA) has been the main tool for industries to assess components and systems failure and physical behavior. Increased computational resources, the maturity of software packages and the need for more complex applications have contributed to add new resources to the finite element scenario. One of the most interesting of those new features is structural optimization, which takes product development to a whole new level by reducing material costs while considering geometrical and manufacturing constraints. In the present paper, structural optimization is used as a tool to develop a new lever arm for clutch release bearings. Among the design constraints, geometric restraints as well as loading and contact interfaces were considered.
CitationCury, R. and Baruffaldi, L., "Topological Optimization of Clutch Fork using Fnite Element Analyses," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0223, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0223.
- Mosmann, R. M. Otimizaçao topológica de estruturas contínuas submetidas a restrições de flexibilidade, volume e freqüência natural Master's thesis UFRGS 2003
- Gartmeier, O. Dunne, L. Structural optimization in vehicle development Proc. of 1999 MSC Worldwide Automotive Conference 1999
- Bendsøe, M. P. Kikuchi, N. 1988 Generating optimal topologies in structural design using a homogenization method Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 71 197 224
- Bendsøe, M. P. Optimization of Structural Topology, Shape and Material Springer New York 1995
- Simulia Corporation Abaqus User Manual 2011
- Schaeffler Clutch Release Bearings and Components 2007
- Silva, L. C. A. Silva, A. F. Schaeffler Brazil Corporate Engineering TechDay - Clutch Release Bearings Technical Presentation 2012