This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Leaf Springs Durability Analysis and Weight Reduction through Double Peening
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 02, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The improvement of fatigue life in parts subjected to cyclic stresses by application of mechanical surface treatment processes is already well known, both in the industry and in the academy. Speaking of automotive springs, the shot peening process becomes an essential step in manufacturing these parts. In the case of leaf springs, however, a systematic investigation of the effect of shot peening on fatigue life is still required. The aim of this work is to improve the knowledge of shot peening on leaf springs for vehicles through fatigue tests on a series of samples that were subject to different peening processes. A second shot-peening after a first peening under stress (stress peening) led to a higher durability comparing to the conventional process, opening an opportunity of vehicle weight reduction.
|Technical Paper||Decarburization Effects on Fatigue Behavior of Leaf Spring Material|
|Technical Paper||Effect of Shot-Peening Variables and Residual Stresses on the Fatigue Life of Leaf-Spring Specimens|
|Technical Paper||Lightweight Leaf Springs|
CitationScuracchio, B., Barbosa, R., and Curitiba, J., "Leaf Springs Durability Analysis and Weight Reduction through Double Peening," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0128, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0128.
- LONGHURST, C. The Suspension Bible 2000 http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible.html
- THYSSENKRUPP BILSTEIN BRASIL Institutional Presentation and Product Catalogue 2010
- YAMADA, Y. Materials for Springs Japan Society of Springs Engineers 2007
- DIN EN10089 Hot Rolled Steels for Quenched and Tempered Springs 2003
- DALY, J.J. JOHNSON, D.E. Computer-Enhanced Shot Peening Advanced Materials and Processes 5 1990 49 52
- LEE, Y.L. PAN, J. HATHAWAY, R. BARKEY, M. Fatigue Testing and Analysis - Theory and Practice, Cap. 4 ELSEVIER 2005
- WEIBULL, W. Fatigue Testing and Analysis of Results Pergamom Press 1961