This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Consumption of a Diesel Engine Fuelled with Hydrogen, Natural Gas and Diesel Blends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 02, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an investigation on fuel consumption of a diesel engine fuelled with blends of natural gas-diesel and hydrogen-diesel. Experiments have been carried out in a 50 kW, four-stroke, diesel engine. Natural gas and hydrogen have both been injected in the intake manifold, while diesel was directly injected in the combustion chamber. Blends of 25%, 50% and 75% of natural gas in diesel were tested, while the concentrations of hydrogen were 20%, 30% and 50%. No alteration in the diesel injection system has been made when the gaseous fuels were used. The results show that diesel consumption is reduced proportionally to the necessary air amount for stoichiometric burn of the gaseous fuels.
|Technical Paper||Loss Analysis of a Direct-Injection Hydrogen Combustion Engine|
|Technical Paper||Potential of Synergies in a Vehicle for Variable Mixtures of CNG and Hydrogen|
- Marco Aurelio Mendes Justino - Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais
- Andre Marcelino de Morais - Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais
- Alex de Oliveira - Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais
- Osmano Souza Valente - Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais
- Jose Ricardo Sodre - Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais
CitationJustino, M., Marcelino de Morais, A., de Oliveira, A., Valente, O. et al., "Fuel Consumption of a Diesel Engine Fuelled with Hydrogen, Natural Gas and Diesel Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0107, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0107.
- CONFEDERAÇÃO NACIONAL DA INDÚSTRIA Matriz energética: cenários, oportunidades e desafios Brasília 82 2007 http://www.cni.org.br/portal/data/files/8A9015D015A0F71F0115AE4B9A37466D/Matriz%20Energ%C3%A9tica.pdf 09 nov. 2011
- SELIM, Mohamed Y. E. Pressure-time characteristics in diesel engine fueled with natural gas Journal Renewable Energy 22 473 489 2001
- SARAVANAN, N. et al. Combustion analysis on a DI diesel engine with hydrogen in dual fuel mode Journal Fuel 87 3591 3599 2008
- ADNAN, R. Masjuki, H. H. Mahlia, T.M.I. An experimental investigation of unmodified DI diesel engine with hydrogen addition ICEE 2009: 3rd International Conference on Energy and Environment 2009
- SARAVANAN, N. Nagarajan, G. Performance and emission studies on port injection of hydrogen with varied flow rates with diesel as an ignition source Applied Energy 87 2218 2229 2010
- HEYWOOD, J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Book Co. Singapore 1988
- HENHAM, A. MAKKAR, M. K. Combustion of simulated biogas in a dual-fuel diesel engine Journal of Energy Conversion and Management 39 2001 2009 1998
- MA, Z. et al. Effects of fuel injection timing on combustion and emission characteristics of a diesel engine fueled with diesel-propane blends Journal Energy & Fuels, USA 21 1504 1510 2007