This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Transfer Port Injection System for Two-Stroke Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 23, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Introducing direct injection technology into two stroke engines can greatly improve the exhaust emission and fuel efficiency. In this paper, we investigate LPG direct injection from the transfer port of a loop-scavenged two stroke engine. The injector nozzle is placed in an area where it can inject through the transfer port window directly into combustion chamber with minimal fuel spillage into the port and minimal loss of fuel to the exhaust port. Several portions and orientations are simulated to determine the best injector nozzle location and orientation. The simulation results indicate that high fuel trapping efficiency is possible with the proper location of the injector and injection timing. Experimental results show an 80% reduction in exhaust emissions with the transfer port mounted injector nozzle compared to the baseline carbureted engine.
CitationTan, Y., Gitano, H., and Mohd Khalil, A., "Development of a Transfer Port Injection System for Two-Stroke Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2012-32-0115, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-32-0115.
- Kojima, Masami Brandon, Carter Shah, Jitendra J. World Bank. South Asia Regional Office “Improving Urban Air Quality in South Asia by Reducing Emissions from Two-stroke Engine Vehicles” World Bank 2000
- Willson, Bryan “The Potential for Direct-Injection Two-Stroke Cycle Engine Technology to Reduce Emissions in Asia.” Proceedings of the 2nd Better Air Quality - Asia Conference Hong Kong December 16 18 2002
- Willson, Bryan Dr. “Direct Injection as a Retrofit Strategy for Reducing Emissions from 2-Stroke Cycle Engines in Asia,” 2002
- Lorenz, N. Bauer, TT. WILLSON, B. “Design of a Direct Injection Retrofit Kit for Small Two-Stroke Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-32-0095 2005 10.4271/2005-32-0095
- Teoh, Y. H. Gitano-Briggs, H. Tan, Y. H. “Development of the Gaseous Fuel Direct Injection System for Small Two-Stroke Transports,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-32-0032 2009 10.4271/2009-32-0032
- Heywood, John B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill 978-0070286375 1981
- Strehlow, Roger A. “Fundamentals of Combustion” New York McGraw-Hill 978-0882755397 1985