This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Real World Driving Cycle for Vehicle Durability Evaluation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 23, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Ability to meet customer expectations and understand customer usage behavior is fundamental to the delivery of the successful products in the Automobile industry. A combination of data collection tools such as customer survey and customer chasing technique with instrumented vehicle are generally used to get insight into the customer usage pattern and driving style. The available information can be priceless if it is used to tailor laboratory test standards representative of customer usage behavior. Test cycles, tailored based on specific customer usage behavior, have the potential to work as very effective design filter during the validation stage of new product design and development process. In this paper, a method to tailor vehicle level durability driving cycle on a laboratory scale roller Chassis dynamometer has been demonstrated. This cycle is developed based on the data collected with customer for their daily usage routine. Concepts of micro trips analysis, correspondence analysis, and cluster analysis have been used for derivation of representative test cycle. The effectiveness of the newly developed cycle was demonstrated in terms of the detection of failure modes of critical engine sub systems.
CitationRisam, G., Singanamalli, A., C, S., and T, R., "Development of Real World Driving Cycle for Vehicle Durability Evaluation," SAE Technical Paper 2012-32-0097, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-32-0097.
- ANDRÉ, Michel Real-world driving cycles for measuring cars pollutant emissions- Part A: The ARTEMIS European driving cycles Report INRETS-LTE 0411 June 2004
- Kamble, Sanghpriya H. Mathew, Tom V. Sharma, G.K. Development of real-world driving cycle: Case study of Pune, India Transportation Research 14 2009 132 140
- Greenacre, M J Correspondence analysis in practice Academic press 1993
- Minitab 16.0 Help reference on Multivariate analysis
- Hung, W.T. Tong, H.Y. Lee, C.P. Ha, K. Pa, L.Y. Development of a practical driving cycle construction methodology: A case study in Hong Kong Transportation Research 12 2007 115 128
- Wang, Qidong Huo, Hong He, Kebin Yao, Zhiliang Zhang, Qiang Characterization of vehicle driving patterns and development of driving cycles in Chinese cities Transportation Research 13 2008 289 297