This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of the Influence of Intake Duct Geometrical Parameters on the Tumble Motion Generation in a Small Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 23, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
During the last years the deep re-examination of the engine design for lowering engine emissions involved two-wheel vehicles too. The IC engine overall efficiency plays a fundamental role in determining final raw emissions. From this point of view, the optimization of the in-cylinder flow organization is mandatory. In detail, in SI engines the generation of a coherent tumble vortex having dimensions comparable to the engine stroke could be of primary importance to extend the engines' ignition limits toward the field of the dilute/lean mixtures.
For motorbike and motor scooter applications, the optimization of the tumble generation is considered an effective way to improve the combustion system efficiency and to lower emissions, considering also that the two-wheels layout represents an obstacle in adopting the advanced post-treatment concepts designed for automotive applications.
The aim of the paper is to use the 3D-CFD simulation tool to assess the intake duct geometry influence on the tumble motion generation during both the intake and the compression strokes. All the CFD simulations presented in the paper were performed on a SI 4-valve engine characterized by a unit displacement of 250 cm₃. The tumble structure was changed during the analysis by changing the angle set defining the intake port shape. The stroke-to-bore engine ratio was kept constant to 0.7. The effects of the tumble variations were evaluated on the in-cylinder vortex characteristic length and vorticity, and on the cylinder mean flow structure at IVC.
3D-CFD simulations were performed by AVL-FIRE v.2010 CFD code.
CitationFalfari, S., Brusiani, F., and Bianchi, G., "Assessment of the Influence of Intake Duct Geometrical Parameters on the Tumble Motion Generation in a Small Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2012-32-0095, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-32-0095.
- Falfari, S. Bianchi, G.M. Nuti, L. “Numerical Comparative Analysis of In-Cylinder Tumble Flow Structures in Small PFI Engines Equipped by Heads Having Different Shapes and Squish Areas” ICES2012-81095, ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division, 2012 Spring Technical Conference May 6 9 2012 Torino, Italy
- Bianchi, G.M. Cantore, G. Nicolini, D. Sassi, L. Fraboni, L. “Numerical Analysis of the Influence of the Stroke-to-Bore Ratio on Tumble Breakdown” Proceedings of the 4th International Conference ICE 1999 September 1999 Capri
- Blaxill, H. Downing, J. Seabrook, J. Fry, M. “A Parametric Approach to Spark-Ignition Engine Inlet-Port Design,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0555 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0555
- Ramajo, D. Zanotti, A. Nigro, N. “Assessment of a zero-dimensional model of tumble in four-valve high performance engine” International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat & Fluid Flow 17 8 2007 770 787
- Gaikwad, S. Arora, K. Korivi, V. Cho, S. “Steady and Transient CFD Approach for Port Optimization,” SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 1 1 754 762 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1430
- Laget, O. Zaccardi, J. Gautrot, X. Mansion, T. et al. “Establishing New Correlations Between In-Cylinder Charge Motion and Combustion Process in Gasoline Engines Through a Numerical DOE,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 183 201 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0349
- Amer, A. Reddy, T. “Multidimensional Optimization of In-Cylinder Tumble Motion for the New Chrysler Hemi,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1732 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1732
- Church, W. Farrell, P. “Effects of Intake Port Geometry on Large Scale In-Cylinder Flows,” SAE Technical Paper 980484 1998 10.4271/980484
- Miller, R. Newman, C. Dai, W. Trigui, N. et al. “Up-Front Prediction of the Effects of Cylinder Head Design on Combustion Rates in SI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 981049 1998 10.4271/981049
- Baby, X. Floch, A. “Investigation of the In-Cylinder Tumble Motion In a Multi-Valve Engine: Effect of the Piston Shape,” SAE Technical Paper 971643 1997 10.4271/971643
- Arcoumanis, C. Godwin, S. Kim, J. “Effect of Tumble Strength on Combustion and Exhaust Emissions in a Single-Cylinder, Four-Valve, Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 981044 1998 10.4271/981044
- Lee, K. Bae, C. Kang, K. “The effects of tumble and swirl flows on flame propagation in a four valve S.I. engine” Applied Thermal Engineering 27 2007 2122 2130
- Mittal, M. Schock, H. “A Study of Cycle-to-Cycle Variations and the Influence of Charge Motion Control on In-Cylinder Flow in an IC Engine” ASME 2010 Journal of Fluids Engineering 132 051107-1
- Huang, R.F. Lin, K.H. Yeh, C.-N. Lan, J. “In-cylinder tumble flows and performance of a motorcycle engine with circular and elliptic intake ports” Journal of Experiments in Fluids 46 1 January 2009 165 179
- Murali Krishna, B. Mallikarjuna “Comparative study of in-cylinder tumble flows in an internal combustion engine using different piston shapes - an insight using particle image velocimetry” Journal of Experiments in Fluids 48 5 May 2010 863 874
- Kuwahara, K. Kawai, T. Ando, H. “Influence of Flow Field Structure after the Distorsion of Tumble on Lean-Burn Flame Structure” International Symposium COMODIA 94 1994 89 94
- Lee, K.H. Lee, C.S. “Effects of tumble and swirl flows on turbulence scale near top dead centre in a four-valve spark ignition engine” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 2003 217 607
- Achuth, M. Metha, P.S. “Predictions of tumble and turbulence in four-valve pentroof spark ignition engines” Int. Journal of Engine Research 2001 2 209
- Berntsson, A. Josefsson, G. Ekdahl, R. Ogink, R. et al. “The Effect of Tumble Flow on Efficiency for a Direct Injected Turbocharged Downsized Gasoline Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2298 2311 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0054
- Leiber, S. Schabetsberger, T. Schögl, O. Edtmayer, H. et al. “Design of a Tumble-Orientated Intake Port Layout for a Gasoline Combustion Process Used in Power Sport Application,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-32-0589 2011
- Adomeit, P. Jakob, M. Pischinger, S. Brunn, A. et al. “Effect of Intake Port Design on the Flow Field Stability of a Gasoline DI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1284 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1284
- Bianchi, G. Cantore, G. Fontanesi, S. “Turbulence Modelling in CFD Simulation of ICE Intake Flows: The Discharge Coefficient Prediction,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1118 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1118
- Bianchi, G. Brusiani, F. Postrioti, L. Grimaldi, C. et al. “CFD Analysis of Injection Timing Influence on Mixture Preparation in a PFI Motorcycle Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0022 2006 10.4271/2006-32-0022
- Cantore, G. Fontanesi, S. Mattarelli, E. Bianchi, G. “A Methodology for In-Cylinder Flow Field Evaluation in a Low Stroke-to-Bore SI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1119 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1119
- Falfari, S. Bianchi, G. “Development of an Ignition Model for S.I. Engines Simulation,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0148 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0148
- Bianchi, G. Brusiani, F. Postrioti, L. Grimaldi, C. et al. “CFD Analysis of Injection Timing and Injector Geometry Influences on Mixture Preparation at Idle in a PFI Motorcycle Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0041 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0041
- Forte, C. Bianchi, G.M. Corti, E. Fantoni, S. “Combined experimental and numerical analysis of the influence of air-to-fuel ratio on cyclic variation of high performance engines” ASME Paper ICES2008-1668, ASME ICE DIVISION Spring Conference Chicago aprile 2008
- Forte, C. Bianchi, G.M. Corti, E. Fantoni, S. “Analysis of cycle by cycle variation of an high performance engine: influence of mixture composition” 8th International Symposium on Combustion Diagnostics (AVL) Baden Baden giugno 2008
- Bianchi, G.M. Forte, C. Corti, C. “Combined experimental and numerical analysis of knock in spark Ignition engines” ASME PAPER No. ICES2009-14102 ASME - ICEF 2009 Luzern (Switzerland) settembre 2009
- Bianchi, G.M. Forte, C. Corti, C. “Validation of a Lagrangian Ignition Model in SI Engine Simulations” ASME PAPER No. ICEF2010-35159, ASME - ICEF 2010 San Antonio, Texas Settembre 2010