This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Injury Risk Curves for the WorldSID 50 th Male Dummy
Published October 29, 2012 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
The development of the WorldSID 50th percentile male dummy was initiated in 1997 by the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO/TC22/SC12/WG5) with the objective of developing a more biofidelic side impact dummy and supporting the adoption of a harmonised dummy into regulations. The dummy is currently under evaluation at the Working Party on Passive Safety (GRSP) in order to be included in the pole side impact global technical regulation (GTR).
Injury risk curves dedicated to this dummy and built on behalf of ISO/TC22/SC12/WG6 were proposed in order to assess the occupant safety performance (Petitjean et al. 2009). At that time, there was no recommendation yet on the injury criteria and no consensus on the most accurate statistical method to be used.
Since 2009, ISO/TC22/SC12/WG6 reached a consensus on the definition of guidelines to build injury risk curves, including the use of the survival analysis, the distribution assessment and quality checks. These guidelines were applied to the WorldSID 50th results published in 2009 in order to be able to provide a final set of injury risk curves recommended by ISO/TC22/SC12/WG6.
The paper presents the different steps of the guidelines as well as the recommended injury risk curves dedicated to the WorldSID 50th for lateral shoulder load, thoracic rib deflection, abdomen rib deflection and pubic force.
CitationPetitjean, A., Trosseille, X., Praxl, N., Hynd, D. et al., "Injury Risk Curves for the WorldSID 50th Male Dummy," SAE Technical Paper 2012-22-0008, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-22-0008.
- Abbreviated Injury Scale 2005 Gennarelli , T.A. , Wodzin , E. Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medecine
- Been , B. , Waagmeester , K. , Trosseille , X. , Carroll , J. , Hynd , D. 2009 WorldSID small female two dimensional chest deflection sensors and sensitivity to oblique impact 21th ESV conference proceedings Stuttgart, Germany
- Belsley , D. A. , Kuh , E. , Welsch , R.E. 1980 Regression diagnostics: identifying influential data and sources of collinearity New York Wiley 1980
- Benjellal , F. , Walfisch , G. , Fayon , A. , Tarriere , C. 1984 A.P.R. Biomechanical Data
- Bolte , J.H. , Hines , M.H. , Herriott , R.G. , McFadden , J.D. , Donnelly , B.R. 2003 Shoulder Impact Response and Injury Due to Lateral and Oblique Loading Stapp Car Crash Journal 47 35 53
- Boxboro systems Hardware user's manual, RibEyeTM Multi-point deflection measurement system, 3-axis version for the WorldSID 50 th ATD, model #10000 February 2011
- Burnham KP , Anderson D Model Selection and Multi-Model Inference Springer 2010
- Cavanaugh , J.M. , Walilko , T.J. , Malhotra , A. , Zhu , Y. , King , A.I. 1990a Biomechanical response and injury tolerance of the pelvis in twelve sled side impacts Proc. 34th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1 21 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Cavanaugh , J.M. , Walilko , T.J. , Malhotra , A. , Zhu , Y. , King , A.I. 1990b Biomechanical response and injury tolerance of the thorax in twelve sled side impacts Proc. 34th Stapp Car Crash Conference 23 38 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Cavanaugh , J.M. , Zhu , Y. , Huang , Y. , King , A.I. 1993 Injury and response of the thorax in side impact cadaveric tests Proc. 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference 199 221 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Cavanaugh , J.M. , Walilko , T. , Chung , J. , King , A.I. 1996 Abdominal injury and response in side impact Proc. 40th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1 16 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Cesari , D. , Ramet , M. , Clair , PY. 1980 Evaluation of Pelvic Fracture Tolerance in Side Impact Proc. 24th Stapp Car Crash Conference 229 253 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Cesari , D. , Ramet , M. 1982 Pelvic Tolerance and Protection Criteria in Side Impact Proc. 26th Stapp Car Crash Conference 145 154 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Compigne , S. , Caire , Y. , Verriest , J-P. 2002 Three Dimensional Dynamic Response of the Human Shoulder Submitted to Lateral and Oblique Glenohumeral Joint Impacts Proceedings IRCOBI, International Conference of the Biomechanics of Impact Munich, Germany
- Compigne , S. , Caire , Y. , Quesnel , T. , Verriest , J-P. 2003 Lateral and Oblique Impact Loading of the Human Shoulder 3D acceleration and Force-Deflection Data Proceedings IRCOBI, International Conference of the Biomechanics of Impact Lisbon, Portugal 265 279
- Compigne , S. , Caire , Y. , Quesnel , T. , Verriest , J-P. 2004 Non-Injurious and Injurious Impact Response of the Human Shoulder Three-Dimensional Analysis of Kinematics and Determination of Injury Threshold Stapp Car Crash Journal 48 89 123
- Di Domenico , L. , Nusholtz , G. 2003 Comparison of Parametric and Non-Parametric Methods for Determining Injury Risk SAE Paper N° 2003-01-1362 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Hosmer , D.W. , Lemeshow , S. 1999 Applied Survival Analysis: Regression modeling of time to event data Wiley New York 1999
- Hynd , D. , Carroll , J.A. , Been , B.W. , Payne , A.R. 2004 Evaluation of the shoulder, thorax and abdomen of the WorldSID pre-production side impact dummy IMechE Vehicle Safety 2004 Conference Proceedings
- Irwin , A.L. , Walilko , T.J. , Cavanaugh , J.M. 1993 Displacement responses of the shoulder and thorax in lateral sled impacts Proc. 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference 165 173 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Kuppa , S. , Eppinger , R. , McKoy , F. , Nguyen , T. Development of side impact thoracic injury criteria and their application to the modified ES-2 dummy with rib extensions (ES-2re) 03S-61, 47th Stapp Car Crash Conference
- Louden , A., E. Dynamic Side Impact Testing with the 50 th Percentile Male WorldSID Compared to the ES-2re 21st ESV conference proceedings Stuttgart, Germany
- Maltese , M.R. , Eppinger , R.H. , Rhule , H.H. , Donnelly , B.R. 2002 Response corridors of human surrogates in lateral impact Stapp Car Crash Journal 46 321 351
- Nusholtz , G. , Mosier , R. Consistent Threshold Estimate for Doubly Censored Biomechanical Data SAE 1999-01-0714
- Petitjean , A. , Trosseille , X. , Petit , P. , Irwin , A. , Hassan , J. , Praxl , N. 2009 Injury Risk Curves for the WorldSID 50 th Male dummy Stapp Car Crash Journal 53 443 476
- Petitjean , A. , Trosseille , X. 2011 Statistical simulations to evaluate the methods of the construction of injury risk curves Stapp Car Crash Journal 55 411 440
- Pintar , F.A. , Yoganandan , N. , Sances , A. , Eppinger , R.H. 1996 Instrumentation of human surrogates for side impact Proc. 40th Stapp Car Crash Conference 29 42 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Pintar , F.A. , Yoganandan , N. , Hines , M.H. Chestband analysis of human tolerance to side impact 973320, 41st Stapp Car Crash Conference
- Rhule , H. , Moorhouse , K. , Donnelly , B. , Stricklin , J. 2009 Comparison of WorldSID and ES-2re biofidelity using an updated biofidelity ranking system paper 09-0563, 21th ESV conference proceedings Stuttgart, Germany
- Robbins , D.H. , Lehman , R.J. , Augustyn , K. 1979 Prediction of Thoracic Injuries as a Function of Occupant Kinematics 7th ESV conference proceedings Paris, France 374 383
- Robbins , D.H. , Lehman , R.J. , Nusholtz , G.S. , Melvin , J.W. , Benson , J.B. , Stalnaker , R.L. , Culver , R. 1982 Quantification of Thoracic Response and Injury: the Gathering of Data Final Report. Report N° UM-HSRI-82-33-1
- Robbins , D.H. , Lehman , R.J. , Nusholtz , G.S. , Melvin , J.W. , Benson , J.B. , Stalnaker , R.L. , Culver , R. 1982 Quantification of Thoracic Response and Injury: the Gathering of Data; Appendix A: Individual Test Reports Report N° UM-HSRI-82-33-2
- Scherer , R. , Bortenschlager , K. , Akiyama , A. , Tylko , S. , Hartlieb , M. , Harigae , T. 2009 WorldSID production dummy biomechanical responses 21 st ESV conference proceedings Stuttgard, Germany
- Schneider , L.W. , Robbins , D.H. , Pflüg , M.A. , and Snyder , R.G. 1985 Development of an Anthropometrically based Design Specifications for an Advanced Adult Anthropomorphic Dummy Family 1-3 Final Report DOT-HS-806-715 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration U.S. Department of Transportation Washington D.C.
- Shaw , J.M. , Herriott , R.G. , McFadden , J.D. , Donnelly , B.R. , Bolte , J.H. 2006 Oblique and Lateral Impact Response of the PMHS Thorax Stapp Car Crash Journal 50 147 167
- The R development Core Team 2009 R: a language and Environment for Statistical Computing) Reference Index
- Trosseille , X. , Petitjean , A. 2010 Sensitivity of the WorldSID 50 th and ES-2re thoraces to loading configuration Stapp Car Crash Journal 54 259 287
- Tylko , S. , Dalmotas , D. 2005 WorldSID responses in oblique and perpendicular pole tests 19thESV conference proceedings Washington D.C, United States of America
- Tylko , S. , German , A. , Dalmotas , D. , Bussières , A. 2006 Improving side impact protection: response of the ES-2re and WorldSID in a proposed harmonized pole test Proceedings IRCOBI, International Conference of the Biomechanics of Impact Madrid, Spain 213 234
- Viano D. 1989a Biomechanical Responses and Injuries in Blunt Lateral Impact Proc.33rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 113 142 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Viano , D.C. , Lau , I.V. , Asbury , C. , King , A.I. , Begeman , P. 1989b Biomechanics of the Human Chest, Abdomen, and Pelvis in Lateral Impact 33rd Annual Proceedings Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine Baltimore, Maryland 367 382