This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Biomechanical Responses of PMHS in Moderate-Speed Rear Impacts and Development of Response Targets for Evaluating the Internal and External Biofidelity of ATDs
Published October 29, 2012 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
The objectives of this study were to obtain biomechanical responses of post mortem human subjects (PMHS) by subjecting them to two moderate-speed rear impact sled test conditions (8.5g, 17 km/h; 10.5g, 24 km/h) while positioned in an experimental seat system, and to create biomechanical targets for internal and external biofidelity evaluation of rear impact ATDs. The experimental seat was designed to measure external loads on the head restraint (4 load cells), seat back (6 load cells), and seat pan (4 load cells) such that subject dynamic interaction with the seat could be evaluated. This seat system was capable of simulating the dynamic characteristics of modern vehicle seat backs by considering the moment-rotation properties of a typical passenger vehicle, thus providing a more realistic test environment than using a rigid seat with a non-rotating seat back as done in previous studies. Instrumentation used to measure biomechanical responses of the PMHS included both accelerometers and angular rate sensors (ARS). A total of fourteen sled tests using eight PMHS (males 175.8 ± 6.2 cm of stature and 78.4 ± 7.2 kg of weight) provided data sets of seven PMHS for both test conditions. The biomechanical responses are described at both speeds, and cervical spine injuries are documented. Biomechanical targets are also created for internal and external biofidelity evaluation of rear impact anthropomorphic test devices (ATDs).
- Yun-Seok Kang - The Ohio State University
- John H Bolte IV - The Ohio State University
- Kevin Moorhouse - NHTSA - Vehicle Research and Test Center
- Bruce Donnelly - NHTSA - Vehicle Research and Test Center
- Rodney Herriott - Transportation Research Center Inc.
- Ann Mallory - Transportation Research Center Inc.
CitationKang, Y., Bolte IV, J., Moorhouse, K., Donnelly, B. et al., "Biomechanical Responses of PMHS in Moderate-Speed Rear Impacts and Development of Response Targets for Evaluating the Internal and External Biofidelity of ATDs," SAE Technical Paper 2012-22-0004, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-22-0004.
- Albery, C.B. and Whitestone, J.J. (2003) A comparison of cadaveric human head masses, centers of gravity and moments of inertia: direct measurement vs. computed tomographic calculation, Presented at the Aerospace Medical Association (AsMA) Annual Scientific Meeting.
- Bertholon, N., Robin, S., Le Coz J.Y., Potier, P., Lassau, J.P., Skalli, W. (2000) Human head and cervical spine behaviour during low-speed rear-end impacts: PMHS sled tests with a rigid seat. Proc. IRCOBI Conference, pp. 265-277.
- Cappon, H.J., Philippens, M.M.G.M., van Ratingen, M.R., Wismans, J.S.W.M., (2000) Evaluation of dummy behaviour during low severity rear impact. Proc. IRCOBI Conference, pp. 53-66.
- Cappon, H., Philippens, M., van Ratingen, M., Wismans, J., (2001) Development and evaluation of a new rear-impact crash dummy: The RID 2. Proc. 45th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 2001-22-0010.
- Cooper, G.R. and McGillem, C.D., (1967) Methods of signal and system analysis. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, New York.
- Croft, A. and Philippens, M., (2007) The RID2 biofidelic rear impact dummy: A pilot study using human subjects in low-speed rear impact full scale crash tests. Journal of Accident Analysis and Prevention, 39: 340-346.
- Cusick, J.F., Pintar, F.A., Yoganandan, N., (2001) Whiplash syndrome: Kinematic factors influencing pain patterns. Spine 26(11): 1252-1258.
- Davidsson, J., Deutscher, C., Wolfram, H., Linder, A., Lovsund, P., Svensson, M.Y., (1998a) Human volunteer kinematics in rear-end sled collisions. Proc. IRCOBI Conference 1998, pp 289-300.
- Davidsson, J., Svensson, M.Y., Flogard, A., Haland, Y., Jakobsson, L., Linder, A., Lovsund, P., Wiklund, K., (1998b) BioRID I - A new biofidelic rear impact dummy. Proc. IRCOBI Conference, pp. 377-390.
- Davidsson, J., Flogard, A., Lovsund, P., Svensson, M. Y., (1999a) BioRID P3- Design and performance compared to Hybrid III and volunteers in rear impacts at ΔV=7 km/h. Proc. 43rd Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 99SC16.
- Davidsson, J., Lovsund, P., Ono, K., Svensson, M. Y., Inami S., (1999b) A comparison between volunteer, BioRID P3 and Hybrid III performance in rear impacts. Proc. IRCOBI Conference, pp. 165-178.
- Deng, B., Begeman, P. C., Yang, K. H., Tashman, S., King, A. I., (2000) Kinematics of human cadaver cervical spine during low-speed rear-end impacts. Proc. 44th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 2000-01-SC13.
- Donnelly, B.R., and Moorhouse, K., (2012) Optimized Phasing of PMHS Response Curves for Biofidelity Targets. Proc. IRCOBI Conference 2012.
- EEVC, (2002) Ad-hoc group on cervical spine injuries, Working group 12 report, Document No. 157.
- Eppinger, R. H., Marcus, J. H., Morgan, R. M., (1984) Development of dummy and injury index for NHTSA's thoracic side impact protection research program. SAE Paper No. 840885.
- Foust, D.R., Chaffin, D.B., Snyder, R.G., Baum, J.K., (1973) Cervical range of motion and dynamic response and strength of cervical muscles. Proc. 17th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 285-308. SAE Paper No. 730975.
- Geigl, B.C., Steffan, H., Leinzinger, P., Roll, Mühlbauer, M., Bauer, G., (1994) The Movement of Head and Cervical Spine During Rearend Impact, Proc. IRCOBI Conference, pp. 127-137.
- Hu, A. S., Bean, S. P., Zimmerman, R. M., (1977) Response of belted dummy and cadaver to rear impact. Proc. 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 770929.
- Ishikawa, T., Okano, N., Ishikura, K., Ono, K., (2000) An Evaluation of Prototype Seats Using BioRID-P3 and Hybrid III with TRID Neck. Proc. IRCOBI Conference 2000, pp. 379-391.
- Kallieris, D., Rizzetti, A., Mattern, R., Thunnissen, J., Philippens, M., (1996) Cervical human spine loads during traumatomechanical investigations. Proc. IRCOBI Conference 1996, pp. 89-106.
- Kang, Y., Moorhouse, K., Bolte, J., (2011) Measurement of 6 DOF head kinematics in impact conditions employing six accelerometers and three angular rate sensors (6aω configuration). Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 113(11) : 111007.
- Kaplan, W., (1952) Advanced Calculus. Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Reading, MA.
- Kuppa, S., (2004) Injury criteria and anthropomorphic test devices for cervical spine injury assessment. NHTSA Docket No. 19807.
- Magnusson, M.L., Pope, M.H., Hasselquist, L., (1999) Cervical electromyographic activity during low-speed rear impact. Eur Spine J 8:118-125
- Mallory, A., and Stammen, J., (2007) Comparative evaluation of rear impact dummies static seat interaction and dynamic testing. NHTSA Docket No. 2007-27986-19.
- Maltese, M.R., Eppinger, R.H., Rhule, H., Donnelly, B., Pintar, F.A., Yoganandan, N., (2002) Response corridors of human surrogates in lateral impacts. Proc. 46th Stapp Car Crash Conference, November 2002, SAE 2002-22-0017, pp 321-351.
- Mertz, H. J. and Patrick, L. M., (1967) Investigation of the kinematics and kinetics of cervical spine. Proc. 11th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 670919.
- Mertz, H.J., (1984) A procedure for normalizing impact response data. SAE paper 840884. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Molino, L., (1998) Determination of moment-deflection characteristics of automobile seat backs. NHTSA Docket No. 1998-4064-26.
- Morgan, R.M., Marcus, J.H.T., Eppinger, R.H., (1986) Side impact - the biofidelity of NHTSA's proposed ATD and efficacy of TTI. Proc. 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 27-40. SAE paper No. 861877
- Moroney, S.P., Schultz, A.B., Miller, J.A.A., (1988) Analysis and measurement of neck loads. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 6:713-720.
- NHTSA, (2004), Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Head Restraints (FMVSS 202a) Federal Register 49 CFR Part 571, Docket no. NHTSA-2004-19807, December 14, 2004.
- Nusholtz, G.S., Hsu, T.P., Shi, Y., Luna, M.A.G., (2009) Creating representative curves from multiple time histories of vehicle, ATD, and biomechanics tests. Paper No. 09-0249, Proc. 21st International Technical Conference of the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV), Stuttgart, Germany.
- Ono, K., and Kaneoka, K., (1997) Motion analysis of human cervical vertebrae during low speed rear impacts by the simulated sled. International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Impact (IRCOBI), pp 223-237.
- Ono, K., Kaneoka, K., Wittek, A., Kajzer, J., (1997) Cervical injury mechanism based on the analysis of human cervical vertebral motion and head-neck-torso kinematics during low-speed rear impacts. Proc. 41st Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 973340.
- Panjabi, M.M., Nibu, K., Cholewicki, J., (1998) Whiplash injuries and the potential for mechanical instability. Eur Spine J 7:484-492.
- Philippens, M., Wismans, J., Cappon, M., Yoganandan, N., Pintar, F., (2000) Whole body kinematics using post mortem human subjects in experimental rear impact. Proc. IRCOBI Conference, pp. 363-378.
- Philippens, M., Cappon, M., van Ratingen, Wismans, J., Svensson, M., Sirey, F., Ono, K., Nishimoto, N., Matsuoka, F., (2002) Comparison of the rear impact biofidelity of BioRID II and RID2. Proc. 46th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 2002-22-0023, pp. 461-476.
- Prasad, P., Kim, A., Weerappuli, D.P.V., Roberts, V., Scheider, D. (1997). Relationships Between Passenger Car Seat Back Strength and Occupant Injury Severity in Rear End Collisions: Field and Laboratory Studies. Proc. 41st Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 973343, pp. 417-449.
- Reed, M.P. and Schneider, L.W., (1996) Lumbar support in auto seats: Conclusions from a study of preferred driving postures. SAE Technical Paper #96048. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Reed, M.P., Manary, M.A., Flannagan, C.A.C., Schneider, L.W., (2000) The effects of vehicle interior geometry and anthropometric variables on automobile driving posture. Human Factors 42(4): 541-552.
- Reed, M.P., Manary, M.A., Flannagan, C.A.C., Schneider, L.W., (2002) A statistical method for predicting automobile driving posture. Human Factors 44(4): 557-568.
- Rhule, H.H., Maltese, M.R., Donnelly, B.R., Eppinger, R.H., Brunner, J.K., Bolte, J.H., (2002) Development of a new biofidelity ranking system for anthropometric test devices. Proc. 46th Stapp Car Crash Conference, November 2002.
- Rhule, D., Rhule, H., Donnelly, B., (2005) The process of evaluation and documentation of crash test dummies for Part 572 of the Code of Federal Regulations. Paper 05-0284. Proc. 19th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV).
- Rhule, H., Moorhouse, K., Donnelly, B., Stricklin, J., (2009) Comparison of WorldSID and ES-2 biofidelity using an updated biofidelity ranking system. Paper No. 09-0563, Proc. 21st International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV), Stuttgart, Germany.
- Sano, K., Dokko, Y., Negishi, H., Goto, T., Ono, K., Warren, J., (2001) Development of a cervical spine injury reducing seat system using BioRID II dummy. Proc. 17th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Paper No.370.
- Siegmund, G. P., King, D. J., Lawrence, J. M., Wheeler, J. B, Brault, J. R., Smith, T. A., (1997) Head/neck kinematic response of human subjects in low-speed, rear-end collisions. Proc. 41st Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 973342.
- Siegmund, G. P., Heinrichs, B. E., Lawrence, J. M., (2001) Kinetic and kinematic responses of the RID 2a, Hybrid III and Human Volunteers in low-speed rear-end collisions. Proc. 45th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 2001-22-0011.
- Sokolnikoff, I.S., and Redheffer, R.M., (1966) Mathematics of Physics and Modern Engineering, 2nd ed. McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, New York.
- Stemper, B.D., Yoganandan, N., Pintar, F.A., (2003) Gender dependent cervical spine segmental kinematics during whiplash. Journal of Biomechancs 36: 1281-1289.
- Stemper, B.D., Yoganandan, N., Pintar, F.A., (2004) Response corridors of the human head-neck complex in rear impact. Proc. 48th Annual Proceedings Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (AAAM), September, 2004.
- Sturzenegger, M., DiStefano, G., Radanov, B.P., Schnidrig, A., (1994) Presenting symptons and signs after whiplash injury: The influence of accident mechanisms. Neurology 44: 688-693
- Sundararajan, S., Prasad, P., Demetropoulos, C.K., Tashman, S., Begeman, P.C., Yang, K.H., King, A.I., (2004) Proc. 48th Stapp Car Crash Conference, November 2004, 99 331-372.
- Szabo, T.J., and Welcher, J.B., (1996) Human subject kinematics and electromyographic activity during low speed rear impacts. SAE Paper No. 962432, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Tencer, A.F., Huber, P., Mirza, S.K., (2003) A comparison of biomechanical mechanisms of whiplash injury from rear impacts. Proc. 47th Annual Proceedings Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (AAAM), September, 2003.
- Tencer, A.F., Mirza, S., Huber, P., (2004) A comparison of injury criteria used in evaluating seats for whiplash protection. Traffic Injury Prevention, 5:55-66.
- Thunnissen, J.G.M., van Ratingen, M.R., Beusenberg, M.C., Janssen, E.G., (1996) A dummy neck for low severity impacts (96-S10-O-12). Proc. 15th International Technical Conference on Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, pp. 1665-1678, Washington, DC.
- Tierney, R.T., Sitler, M.R., Swanik, C.B., Swanik, K.A., Higgins, M., Torg, J., (2005) Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 0195-9131/05/3702-0272, pp 272-279.
- Van den Kroonenberg, A., Philippens, M., Cappon, H., Wismans, J., Hell, W., Langwieder, K., (1998) Human head-neck response during low-speed rear end impacts. Proc. 42nd Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 983158.
- Vasavada, A.N., Li, S., Delp, S.L., (1998) Influence of muscle morphometry and moment arms on the moment-generating capacity of human neck muscles. Spine 23(4): 412-422.
- Vasavada, A., Li, S., Delp, S., (2001) Three-dimensional isometric strength of neck muscles in humans. Spine 26: 1904-1909.
- Vasavada, A.N., Danaraj, J., Siegmund, G.P., (2008) Head and neck anthropometry, vertebral geometry and neck strength in height-matched men and women. Journal of Biomechanics 41: 114-121.
- Viano, D. C., (2002) Role of the Seat in Rear Crash Safety, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, Pa.
- Voo, L., Merkle, A., Chang, S., Kleinberger, M., (2003) Comparison of three rotation measurement techniques in rear impact application. SAE Paper No. 2003-01-0174.
- White, N.A., Begeman, P.C., Hardy, W.N., Yang, K.H., Ono, K., Sato, F., Kamiji, K., Yasuki, T., Bey, M.J., (2009) Investigation of upper body and cervical spine kinematics of post mortem human subjects (PMHS) during low-speed, rear-end impacts. SAE Paper No. 2009-01-0387, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Willis, C., Carroll, J., Roberts, A., (2005) An evaluation of a current rear impact dummy against human response corridors in both pure and oblique rear impact. 19th International Technical Conference of the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Paper No. 05-0061.
- Winters, J.M., and Peles, J.D., (1990) Neck muscle activity and 3-D head kinematics during quasi-static and dynamic tracking movements. Multiple Muscle Systems: Biomechanics and Movement Organization New York, NY: Springer-Verlag. 461-80.
- Wismans, J., Philippens, M., van Oorshot, E., Kallieris, D., Mattern, R. (1987) Comparison of human volunteer and cadaver head-neck response in frontal flexion: a new analysis. Proc. 39th Stapp Car Crash Conference. SAE paper 872194.
- Wismans, J., van den Kroonenberg, A.J., Hoofman, M.L.C., van der Horst, M.J. Neck performance of human substitutes in frontal impact direction. Papers presented at the RO HFM Specialists' Meeting on “Models for Aircrew Safety Assessment: Uses, Limitations and Requirements”, held in Ohio, USA, 26-28 October 1998, and published in RTO MP-20.
- Wylie, C.R. and Barrett, L.C., (1982) Advanced Engineering Mathematics, 5th ed. McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, New York.
- Yoganandan, N., Pintar, F., Stemper, B., Schlick, M., Philippens, M., Wismans, J., (2000) Biomechanics of human occupants in simulated rear crashes: Documentation of neck injuries and comparison of injury criteria. Proc. 44th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 2001-01-SC14.
- Yoganandan, N., Zhang, J., Pintar F.A., Liu, Y.K., (2006) Lightweight low-profile nine-accelerometer package to obtain head angular accelerations in short-duration impacts. Journal of Biomechanics 39: 1347-1354.
- Zellmer, H., Stamm, M., Seidenschwang, A., Brunner, A., (2001) Enhancement of seat performance in low-speed rear impact. 17th International Technical Conference of the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Paper No. 231.