This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Kinematics of the Thoracoabdominal Contents Under Various Loading Scenarios
Published October 29, 2012 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
High-speed biplane x-ray was used to investigate relative kinematics of the thoracoabdominal organs in response to blunt loading. Four post-mortem human surrogates instrumented with radiopaque markers were subjected to eight crash-specific loading scenarios, including frontal chest and abdominal impacts, as well as driver-shoulder seatbelt loading. Testing was conducted with each surrogate perfused, ventilated, and positioned in an inverted, fixed-back configuration. Displacement of radiopaque markers recorded with high-speed x-ray in two perspectives was tracked using motion analysis software and projected into calibrated three-dimensional coordinates. Internal organ kinematics in response to blunt impact were quantified for the pericardium, lungs, diaphragm, liver, spleen, stomach, mesentery, and bony structures. These data can be used to better understand the interaction of anatomical structures during impact and the associated injury mechanisms, and for the development or validation of human body finite element models.
CitationHowes, M., Gregory, T., Hardy, W., and Beillas, P., "Kinematics of the Thoracoabdominal Contents Under Various Loading Scenarios," SAE Technical Paper 2012-22-0001, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-22-0001.
- Deng , B. , Begeman , P.C. , Yang , K.H. , Tashman , S. , and King , A.I. 2000 Kinematics of human cadaver cervical spine during low speed rear-end impacts Stapp Car Crash Journal 44 171 188
- Elhagediab , A.M. and Rouhana , S.W. 1998 Patterns of abdominal injury in frontal automotive crashes ESV Paper No. 98-S1-W-26
- Eppinger , R.H. 1976 Prediction of thoracic injury using measurable experimental parameters Proc. of the 6 th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles 770 779 U.S. DOT Washington, D.C.
- Foster , C.D. , Hardy , W.N. , Yang , K.H. , King , A.I. , and Hashimoto , S. 2006 High-speed seatbelt pretensioner loading of the abdomen Stapp Car Crash Journal 50 27 51
- Hardy , W.N. , Schneider , L.W. , and Rouhana , S.W. 2001a Abdominal impact response to rigid-bar, seatbelt, and airbag loading Stapp Car Crash Journal 45 1 31
- Hardy , W.N. , Foster , C.D. , Mason , M.J. , Yang K.H. , King , A.I. , and Tashman , S. 2001b Investigation of head injury mechanisms using neutral density technology and high-speed biplanar x-ray Stapp Car Crash Journal 45 1 32
- Hardy , W.N. , Shah , C.S. , Kopacz , J.M. , Yang , K.H. , Van Ee , C.A. , Morgan , R. , and Digges , K. 2006 Study of potential mechanisms of traumatic rupture of the aorta using insitu experiments Stapp Car Crash Journal 50 247 266
- Hardy , W.N. , Mason , M.J. , Foster , C.D. , Shah , C.S. , Kopacz , J.M. , Yang , K.H. , King , A.I. , Bishop , J. , Bey , M. , Anderst , W. , and Tashman , S. 2007 A study of the response of the human cadaver head to impact Stapp Car Crash Journal 51 17 80
- Hardy , W.N. , Shah , C.S. , Mason , M.J. , Kopacz , J.M. , Yang , K.H. , King , A.I. , Van Ee , C.A. , Bishop , J.L. , Banglmaier , R.F. , Bey , M.J. , Morgan , R.M. , and Digges , K.H. 2008 Mechanisms of traumatic rupture of the aorta and associated peri-isthmic motion and deformation Stapp Car Crash Journal 52 233 265
- Kent , R. , Murakami , D. , and Kobayashi , S. 2008 Frontal thoracic response to dynamic loading: the role of superficial tissues, viscera, and the rib cage International Journal of Crashworthiness 13 289 300
- Klinich , K.D. , Flannagan , C.A.C. , Nicholson , K. , Schneider , L.W. , and Rupp , J.D. 2010 Factors associated with abdominal injury in frontal, farside, and nearside crashes Stapp Car Crash Journal 54 73 91
- Lee , J.B. and Yang , K.H. 2001 Development of a finite element model of the human abdomen Stapp Car Crash Journal 45 1 22
- Lee , J.B. and Yang , K.H. 2002 Abdominal injury patterns in motor vehicle accidents: a survey of the NASS database from 1993 to 1997 Traffic Injury Prevention 3 241 246
- Padgaonkar , AJ. 1976 Validation study of a three-dimensional crash victim simulator for pedestrian-vehicle impact Doctor of Philosophy: Mechanical Engineering Wayne State University
- Rouhana , S.W. , Lau , I.V. , and Ridella , S.A. 1985 Influence of velocity and forced compression on the severity of abdominal injury in blunt, nonpenetrating lateral impact Journal of Trauma 25 6 490 500
- Rouhana , S.W. 1987 Abdominal injury prediction in lateral impact - an analysis of the biofidelity of the Euro-SID abdomen Proc. of the 31 st Stapp Car Crash Conference 95 104
- Schneider , L. , Robbins , D. , Pflueg , M. , and Snyder , R. 1983 Development of anthropometrically based design specifications for an advanced adult anthropomorphic dummy family Contract No. DTNH22-80-C-07502 University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute Ann Arbor, MI
- Sundararajan , S. , Prasad , P. , Demetropoulos , C.K. , Tashman , S. , Begeman , P.C. , Yang , K.H. , and King , A.I. 2004 Effect of head-neck position on cervical facet stretch of post mortem human subjects during low speed rear end impacts Stapp Car Crash Journal 48 331 372
- Tashman , S. and Anderst , W. 2003 In-vivo measurement of dynamic joint motion using high speed biplane radiography and CT: application to canine ACL deficiency Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 125 238 245
- Yang , K.H. , Hu , J. , White , N.A. , King , A.I. , Chou , C.C. , and Prasad , P. 2001 Development of numerical models for injury biomechanics research: a review of 50 years of publications in the Stapp car crash conference Stapp Car Crash Journal 50 429 490