This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Externally Electro-Pneumatically Shifting System (E.P.S) to Install on Manual Transmissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, an Electro-pneumatic shifting system (E.P.S) has been designed to install on manual transmissions to make the selecting and shifting process faster and more reliable compared to manual systems. Shifting mechanism of a six speed gear box has been improved by using two tandem pneumatic cylinders, position sensors, pneumatic valves, and a controlling board based on AVR microcontroller. The central processing unit uses an electronic control system to provide the optimized operation of shift mechanism. This system can be easily adjusted in order to install externally on manual transmission systems without any changes on housing and transmission shift links.
CitationTeimourian Sefideh Khan, H., Tavakoli, S., and Alavizadeh, A., "Externally Electro-Pneumatically Shifting System (E.P.S) to Install on Manual Transmissions," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1994, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1994.
- Kuroiwa, H., Ozaki, N., Okada, T. and Yamasaki, M., “Next-generation fuel-efficient Automated Manual Transmission”. Hitachi Review, 2004, 53(4): 205-209.
- Samad, T. and Annaswamy, A.M., “The Impact of Control Technology,” 2011. www.ieeecss.org.
- Fredriksson, J. and Egardt, Bo, “Nonlinear control applied to gearshifting in automated manual transmission,” Proc. of the 39th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2000.
- Bader, C., “Power train electronics - progress on the use and development of the computer aided gearshift systems,” In: Proc. of Transportation Electronics, 1990, 375-385.
- Garofalo, F., Glielmo, L., Iannelli, L. and Vasca, F., “Optimal tracking for automotive dry clutch Engagement,” 15th Triennial World Congress, Barcelona, Spain. 2012.
- Heath, R.P.G. and Child, A. J.., “Zeroshift Automated Manual Transmission (AMT),” SAE Paper No. 2007-26-061.
- Cho, S., Jeon, S., Jo, H., Park, Y. and Lee, J., “A Development of Shift Control Algorithm for Automated Manual Transmission in the Hybrid Drivetrain. FISITA World Automotive Congress, Seoul, Korea. 2000.
- Bergman, A. and Byrhult, P., “Automated shifting of a manual sequential transmission in a hybrid vehicle,” Lund University. 2009.