This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
DOE for Non Linear Structural Analysis of ROPS (Rollover Protective Structure)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Rollover Protective Structures (ROPSs) are used in off-highway vehicles to protect operator in case of accidents involving overturning of vehicle. The role of a ROPS is to absorb the energy of Rollover without violating the protected operator zone. The performance of a ROPS is determined by its ability to absorb energy under prescribed loading conditions. The performance depends upon design parameters, such as tube thicknesses, material grades, ROPS tube cross-sections, etc., that define the structure.
In this paper, we describe a method that uses Design of Experiments (DOE) to determine the correlation between the performance of a ROPS for a small tractor and its critical design parameters. The correlation results are discussed for two types of loading conditions, namely “front push loading” and “side push loading”. The correlation obtained is further used to identify the optimal design parameters for maximum energy absorption under constraints on allowable deflections.
CitationMalik, M., Kshirsagar, S., and Barve, S., "DOE for Non Linear Structural Analysis of ROPS (Rollover Protective Structure)," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1902, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1902.
- Work safe Services Division Occupational Health and Safety Legislation Interpretations, “ROPS on lawn tractors & 4-wheelers,” Regulation 91-191, section 220(1), September 15, 2010
- ISO/DIS 21299: Powered ride-on turf care equipment - Rollover protective structures (ROPS) - Test procedure and acceptance criteria
- Agricultural Equipment Technology Conference held in conjunction with Ag Connect, Conference (Orlando Florida) Publication date 10, January 2010, “Tractor Rollovers: Historical Trends and Recent Developments in China and India,” 10-13 January 2010, ASABE Paper Number AETC1001
- Raju, G Poojari, Mohan et al, “Model to Evaluate Exposure Criteria during Tractor Rollover Protective Structure (ROPS) Testing” CAE users conference Bangalore, Aug 3-5, 2006.
- Thambiratnam, DPFASCE, Clark, BJ and Perera, NJ, “Performance of a Rollover Protective Structure for a Bulldozer,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 135(1), pp. 31-40.
- Jixin, Wang, Mingyao, Yao et al, ”Global Optimization of Lateral Performance for Two-Post ROPS Based on the Kriging Model and Genetic Algorithm” Journal of Mechanical Engineering 57(2011) 10, 760-767
- Jurak, Ladislay et al, “Reliability of FOPS and ROPS test of the safety structures” International conference of the Carpathian euroregion specialists in industrial systems
- ABAQUS Version 6.10-4 keyword reference manual
- Altair Hyperworks 10.1 reference manual
- SIMULIA Isight, 5.5 reference manual