This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Understanding MTF Additive Effects on Synchroniser Friction - Part 2, Structure Performance Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Specific frictional properties are essential to provide correct and pleasurable shifting in a manual transmission. Synchroniser rings are being manufactured from an increasingly wider range of materials, and it is important to understand synchroniser-additive interactions in order to develop tailored lubricants that provide the desired frictional performance. This paper describes a study of the interaction of various friction modifier additives with a range of synchroniser materials in order to better understand the potential to develop lubricants that provide optimal frictional performance across a wide range of manual transmission-synchroniser systems.
|Journal Article||Understanding MTF Additive Effects on Synchroniser Friction|
|Technical Paper||Lubricant Viscosity Effects on Passenger Car Fuel Economy|
|Technical Paper||Influence of VI Improvers on the Operating Temperature of Multi-Grade Gear Oils|
CitationWalker, G., Brown, G., Friend, C., Barton, W. et al., "Understanding MTF Additive Effects on Synchroniser Friction - Part 2, Structure Performance Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1668, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1668.
- Manual transmission fluid to satisfy global market needs - Part II, Hong, H-S, Huston, M E, Kurihara, Y, Hasegawa, H, Gahagan, M P, Kojima, N. Proceedings of The 5th Annual Fuels & Lubes Asia Conference, 1999.
- Influence of the structure of polysulphide additives on the shiftability of manual transmissions, Shirahama, S, Ohkawa, T, Lubrication Science 2003, 15(2), 133-145
- Frictional properties and wear of a molybdenum coating and a bronze (Cu-10%Sn) with friction modifier fillers, Tura, J M, Traveria, A, de Castellar, M D, Pujadas, J, Blouet, J, Gras, R, Magham, H G, Belair, P, Hanau, T, Wear (1995), 189(1-2), 70-6
- New friction modifiers in sintered bronze, Magham, H Ghaem, Blouet, J, Gras, R, Belair, P, Tura, J M, Traveria, A, Romero, A, Advances in Powder Metallurgy & Particulate Materials (1992), (Vol. 6, Non-Ferrous Materials), 63-75
- Palhares, F., Kohtes, P., and de Aguiar Vendrasco, A., “FPS - Friction Pad System,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-36-0455, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-36-0455.
- Bouffet, A., “Evaluating Tribology of Synchronizers for Today's Manual Transmissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2022, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2022.
- Brown, G., Walker, G., Friend, C., Barton, W. et al., “Understanding MTF Additive Effects on Synchroniser Friction,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5(1):447-458, 2012, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2121.