This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Phasing Controllability with Dual Fuel Injection Timings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Reactivity controlled compression ignition through in-cylinder blending gasoline and diesel to a desired reactivity has previously been shown to give low emission levels and a clear simultaneous efficiency advantage. To determine the possible viability of the concept for on-road application, the control space of injection parameters with respect to combustion phasing is presented. Four injection strategies have been investigated, and for each the respective combustion phasing response is presented. Combustion efficiency is shown to be greatly affected by both the injection-timing and injection-strategy. All injection strategies are shown to break with the common soot-NOx trade-off, with both smoke and NOx emissions being near or even below upcoming legislated levels. Lastly, pressure rise rates are comparable with conventional combustion regimes with the same phasing. The pressure rise rates are effectively suppressed by the high dilution rates used.
CitationLeermakers, C., Somers, L., and Johansson, B., "Combustion Phasing Controllability with Dual Fuel Injection Timings," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1575, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1575.
- Inagaki, K. Fuyuto, T. Nishikawa, K. Nakakita, K. et al. “Dual-Fuel PCI Combustion Controlled by In-Cylinder Stratification of Ignitability,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0028 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0028
- Kokjohn, S. Hanson, R. Splitter, D. Reitz, R. “Experiments and Modeling of Dual-Fuel HCCI and PCCI Combustion Using In-Cylinder Fuel Blending,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 24 39 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2647
- Hanson, R. Kokjohn, S. Splitter, D. Reitz, R. “An Experimental Investigation of Fuel Reactivity Controlled PCCI Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 700 716 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0864
- Splitter, D. Hanson, R. Kokjohn, S. Reitz, R. “Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Heavy-Duty Engine Operation at Mid-and High-Loads with Conventional and Alternative Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0363 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0363
- Splitter, D. Kokjohn, S. Rein, K. Hanson, R. et al. “An Optical Investigation of Ignition Processes in Fuel Reactivity Controlled PCCI Combustion,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 142 162 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0345
- Leermakers, C. Luijten, C. Somers, L. Kalghatgi, G. et al. “Experimental Study of Fuel Composition Impact on PCCI Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1351 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1351
- Leermakers, C. Van den Berge, B. Luijten, C. Somers, L. et al. “Gasoline-Diesel Dual Fuel: Effect of Injection Timing and Fuel Balance,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2437 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2437
- Manente, V. Johansson, B. Tunestal, P. Cannella, W. “Influence of Inlet Pressure, EGR, Combustion Phasing, Speed and Pilot Ratio on High Load Gasoline Partially Premixed Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1471 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1471
- Manente, V. Tunestal, P. Johansson, B. Cannella, W. “Effects of Ethanol and Different Type of Gasoline Fuels on Partially Premixed Combustion from Low to High Load,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0871 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0871