This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Advanced and Low PGM TWC System for LEV2 PZ EV and LEV3 SULEV30
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A two-brick gasoline engine aftertreatment system with advanced washcoat technology was developed for LEV2 PZEV2 legislation, and its application to the upcoming LEV3 SULEV30 emission standard was demonstrated. The system was comprised of 1) a palladium only catalyst in the close coupled position with improved catalytic performance and high phosphorus poisoning resistance compared with 09MY technology, and 2) an underfloor palladium rhodium catalyst technology in which the nitric oxides (NOx) reduction activity was enhanced by preventing the deactivation of rhodium under rich conditions. As a result, the palladium only + palladium rhodium catalysts system met the LEV2 PZEV standard with three quarters of the PGM and half the rhodium of the system used on the Honda 09MY Accord vehicle. The system was also demonstrated to meet the LEV3 SULEV30 standard with some margin. This study indicates that advanced palladium only catalysts have the potential to meet future legislation allowing further reductions in rhodium usage.
CitationMatsuzono, Y., kuroki, K., Nishi, T., Suzuki, N. et al., "Development of Advanced and Low PGM TWC System for LEV2 PZ EV and LEV3 SULEV30," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1242, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1242.
- Heck, R. M., Ferrauto, R. J., Catalytic Air Pollution Control, Commercial Technologies, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2002.
- Kubsh, J.E., “Advanced Three-way Catalysts,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, PA, ISBN 978-0-7680-1704-5, 2006, doi:10.4271/PT-123.
- Arnold, L., Collins, N., Cooper, J., Eyre, D. et al., “Development and Application of New Low Rhodium Three-Way Catalyst Technology,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0046, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0046.
- Watanabe, K., Taga, W., Hirota, T., Tanikawa, K. et al., “Advanced Emission Control System for ULEV2 Application,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0848, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0848.
- PLATINUM 2011, Johnson Matthey plc., London, 2011.
- Fujiwara, T., Takagi, N., Ichinose, H., Yoshioka, M. et al., “Development of High Performance Three-Way-Catalyst Technology to Lower NOx Emission,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1398, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1398.