This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
GreenZone Driving for Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV) have a large battery which can be used for electric only powertrain operation. The control system in a PHEV must decide how to spend the energy stored in the battery. In this paper, we will present a prototype implementation of a PHEV control system which saves energy for electric operation in pre-defined geographic areas, so called Green Zones. The approach determines where the driver will be going and then compares the route to a database of predefined Green Zones. The control system then reserves enough energy to be able to drive the Green Zone sections in electric only mode. Finally, the powertrain operation is modified once the vehicle enters the Green Zone to ensure engine operation is limited. Data will be presented from a prototype implementation in a Ford Escape PHEV
CitationKristinsson, J., McGee, R., Yu, H., Syed, F. et al., "GreenZone Driving for Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1004, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1004.
- Tate, E. Harpster, M. Savagian, P. “The Electrification of the Automobile: From Conventional Hybrid, to Plug-in Hybrids, to Extended-Range Electric Vehicles,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 1 1 156 166 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0458
- Sciarretta, A. Guzzella, L. Control of hybrid electric vehicles IEEE Control Systems Magazine 27 2 6070 2007
- Filev, D. Tseng, F. Kristinsson, J. McGee, R. “Contextual On-Board Learning and Prediction of Vehicle Destinations” Proc IEEE Symposium on Computation Intelligence in Vehicles and Transportation Systems (CIVTS) April 2011
- Naghshtabrizi, P. Kristinsson, J. Yu, H. McGee, R. “Distance Until Charge Prediction and Fuel Economy Impact for Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles” Proceedings of the American Control Conference July 2011
- Yu, H Kuang, M. McGee, R. “Trip-oriented Energy Management Control Strategy for Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles” Proc of the 50-th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control and European Control Conference December 2011
- Tulpule, P. Marano, V. Rizzoni, G. “Effects of different PHEV control strategies on vehicle performance” Proceedings of the American Control Conference June 2009
- Gong, Q. Li, Y. Peng, Zhong-Ren “Trip-Based Optimal Power Management of Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 58 6 Nov 2008
- http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/default.aspx London's Low Emission Zone 2011 10 23