This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Soot Oxidation Characteristics of SiC Nanoparticle Membrane Filters
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A diesel particulate membrane filter (DPMF) has good trapping efficiency of soot and reduces the pressure loss through the soot accumulation process on the diesel particulate filter wall. The activation energy reduction effect of the soot oxidation reaction by DPMF was clarified. The membrane consists of SiC nanoparticles with a diameter of 10-100 nm. A thin oxide layer is formed on the SiC particle surface, and nanoscale noble metal particles are distributed on the surface. The reduction mechanism for the activation energy was investigated in detail.
Nanoscale soot was accumulated on DPMF from a diesel lamp. Furthermore, the soot oxidation in the regeneration process was observed using an optical microscope. An Arrhenius plot was made from the change of the concentration of the product gases CO and CO₂ with respect to time. The performance and the temperature dependence of oxygen desorption on the oxide layer was measured by thermal desorption spectroscopy (TDS).
Pt-CeO₂/ZrO₂-based materials are commonly used as oxygen storage capacity (OSC) materials and the TDS chart shows two peaks of oxygen desorption. However, the examined SiC exhibited only one peak. It is expected that the oxygen-supply mechanism of this material differs from the conventional reaction mechanism in OSC materials.
- Keisuke Nakamura - Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Hiroshi Oki - Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Ryoko Sanui - Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Katsunori Hanamura - Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Masamichi Tanaka - Sumitomo Osaka Cement Co.,Ltd.
- Nobuhiro Hidaka - Sumitomo Osaka Cement Co.,Ltd.
- Hiroaki Matsumoto - Hitachi High-Technologies Corporation.
CitationNakamura, K., Oki, H., Sanui, R., Hanamura, K. et al., "Soot Oxidation Characteristics of SiC Nanoparticle Membrane Filters," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0848, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0848.
- Sagai, M. Saito, H. Ichinose, T. Komada, M. Mori, Y. Biological Effects of Diesel Exhaust Particles I. In Vitro Production of Super Oxide and In Vivo Toxicity in Mouse Free Radical Biol. Med. 14 37 47 1993
- Bentley, R.W. Global Oil & Gas Depletion. An Overview Energy Policy 30 189 205 2002
- Johnson, T. “Diesel Emission Control in Review,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 68 81 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0069
- Ogyu, K. Oya, T. Ohno, K. Konstandopoulos, A. “Improving of the Filtration and Regeneration Performance by the Sic-DPF with the Layer Coating of PM Oxidation Catalyst,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0621 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0621
- Furuta, Y. Mizutani, T. Miyairi, Y. Yuki, K. et al. “Study on Next Generation Diesel Particulate Filter,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0292 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0292
- Iwasaki, S. Mizutani, T. Miyairi, Y. Yuuki, K. et al. “New Design Concept for Diesel Particulate Filter,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 527 536 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0603
- Karin, P. Hanamura, K. “Particulate Matter Trapping and Oxidation on a Catalyst Membrane,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 1 368 379 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0808
- Oki, H. Karin, P. Hanamura, K. “Visualization of Oxidation of Soot Nanoparticles Trapped on a Diesel Particulate Membrane Filter,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 515 526 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0602
- Neeft, J.P.A. Nijhuis, T.X. Smakman, E. Makkee, M. Moulijn, J.A. Kinetics of the Oxidation of Diesel Soot Fuel 76 12 1129 1136 1997
- Yezerets, A. Currier, N. Eadler, H. “Experimental Determination of the Kinetics of Diesel Soot Oxidation by O2 - Modeling Consequences,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0833 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0833
- Stanmore, B. Brilhac, J. Gilot, P. Gilot, P. “The Ignition and Combustion of Cerium Doped Diesel Soot,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0115 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0115
- Smith, I.W. The Intrinsic Reactivity of Carbons to Oxygen Fuel 57 409 414 1978
- Darcy, P. Costa, P.D. Mellottee, H. Trichard, J.M. Mariadassou, G.D. Kinetics of Catalyzed and Non-Catalyzed Oxidation of Soot From a Diesel Engine Catal. Today 119 252 256 2007
- Gilot, P. Bonnefoy, F. Marcuuccilli, F. Prado, G. Determination of Kinetic Data for Soot Oxidation. Modeling of Competition between Oxygen Diffusion and Reaction during Thermogravimetric Analysis Combust. Flame 95 87 100 1993
- Kamino, T. Yaguchi, T. Konno, M. Watabe, A. Marukawa, T. Mima, T. Kuroda, K. Saka, H. Arai, S. Makino, H. Suzuki, Y. Kishita, K. Development of a Gas Injection/Specimen Heating Holder for Use with Transmission Electron Microscope J. Electron Microsc. 54 6 497 503 2005