This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Innovative Aluminum Titanate Based - Diesel Particulate Filter Having Asymmetric Hexagonal Cell Geometry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Introduction of novel European regulation for automotive exhaust gas requires higher performance for Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) as well as for deNOx technology in the aftertreatment system on the diesel vehicles. An innovative DPF, “SC-AT”, has been developed by combination of material properties of aluminum titanate (AT) and advantageous hexagonal cell geometry (HEX). SC-AT has 1) higher thermal shock resistance originating from unique AT material, 2) higher ash capacity, and 3) extremely lower pressure drop at both initial and soot-loaded stages, coming from the asymmetric HEX design concept. In this paper, design concept and its validation for SC-AT through cold flow bench and engine bench are presented.
CitationIwasaki, K., "Innovative Aluminum Titanate Based - Diesel Particulate Filter Having Asymmetric Hexagonal Cell Geometry," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0838, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0838.
- Ohno, K. Shimato, K. Taoka, N. Santae, H. et al. “Characterization of SiC-DPF for Passenger Car,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0185 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0185
- Ogyu, K. Oya, T. Kasuga, T. Ohno, K. “Study on Filter Substrate Structure for Lower Backpressure and Higher Regeneration Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1526 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1526
- Naseri, M. Chatterjee, S. Castagnola, M. Chen, H. et al. “Development of SCR on Diesel Particulate Filter System for Heavy Duty Applications,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1798 1809 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1312
- Ogyu, K. Ohno, K. Hong, S. Komori, T. “Ash Storage Capacity Enhancement of Diesel Particulate Filter,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0949 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0949
- Rose, D. Pittner, O. Jaskula, C. Boger, T. et al. “On Road Durability and Field Experience Obtained with an Aluminum Titanate Diesel Particulate Filter,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1269 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1269
- Ingram-Ogunwumi, R. Dong, Q. Murrin, T. Bhargava, R. et al. “Performance Evaluations of Aluminum Titanate Diesel Particulate Filters,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0656 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0656
- Kato, E. Daimon, K. Takahashi, J. Kato, R. Hamano, K. “Fabrication of Al 2 TiO 5 Ceramics:II Stabilization of Al 2 TiO 5 with Cation Substitution” REPORT OF THE RESEARCH LABORATORY OF ENGINEERING MATERIALS TOKYO INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, Number 9 1984
- Hiratsuka, Y. Saito, M. Matsubara, H.,Y. Iwamoto, Y, T. Kuboshima, T. “High Robust Cordierite DPF for Euro5, 6 Application” International CTI Forum Munich 11th December 2008
- Robert Bosch GmbH Komori, T. Thuener, L. Huelsmerer, D. Schiller, C. Hoeffken, T. “Filter Device, Especially for Exhaust System of An Internal Combustion Engine” PCT/EP Patent 2007/052847 March 26 2007
- Tanaka, M. Ito, M. Makino, M. Abe, F. “Influence of Cell Shape Between Square and Hexagonal Cells,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0661 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0661
- Segawa, Y. Hase, T. Yoshida, T. “Hexagonal Cell Ceramic Substrates for Lower Emission and Backpressure,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0805 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0805
- Konstandopoulos, A. “Flow Resistance Descriptors for Diesel Particulate Filters: Definitions, Measurements and Testing,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0846 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0846
- Hanamura, K. Karin, P. Rubio, L.C. Tsuruta, T. Tanaka, T. Suzuki, T. “Micro- and Macroscopic Visualization of Particulate Matter Trapping and Regeneration Processes in Wall-flow Diesel Pariculate Filters,” Int. J. Engine Res. 10 305 321 2009 10.1243/14680874JER04209
- Saito, C. Nakatani, T. Miyairi, Y. Yuuki, K. et al. “New Particulate Filter Concept to Reduce Particle Number Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0814 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0814