This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Acoustic Characterization of Automotive Mufflers - Part I: Test Rig Design and Evaluation of Acoustic Properties
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In current automotive research, increasing attention is being paid to the design of mufflers due to the lower noise levels which have been established by the acoustic international standards. The traditional design approaches are no longer sufficient to meet the standards and more refined techniques are necessary.
Within this context, a specific test rig was built at the Energy Engineering Department of the University of Florence to analyze the acoustic characteristics of both industrial mufflers and simplified models. In particular, the latter is commonly used to investigate in detail the physical phenomena connected to the acoustic response of these disposals and to calibrate numerical models. The test rig operates at ambient condition with no flow. Instead of the widely used Four Microphones Technique, the test rig was designed considering the Multi-Microphone Technique, which guarantees a wider reliable frequency range of analysis and lower errors in the evaluation of the acoustic properties of mufflers. In this paper the details of the criteria adopted in the design and the characterization of the test rig will be discussed in depth.
CitationFerrara, G., ferrari, L., Vichi, G., Lenzi, G. et al., "Acoustic Characterization of Automotive Mufflers - Part I: Test Rig Design and Evaluation of Acoustic Properties," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0800, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0800.
- Ferrara, G. ferrari, L. Vichi, G. Lenzi, G. et al. “Acoustic Characterization of Automotive Mufflers Part II: Validation of the Numerical Models by Means of Experimental Data,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0801 2012
- Selamet, A. Ji, Z. L. “Acoustic attenuation performance of circular expansion chambers with extended inlet/outlet.” Journal of Sound and Vibration 223 2 197 212 1999
- Selamet, A. Ji, Z. L. Radavich, P. M. “Acoustic attenuation performance of circular expansion chambers with offset inlet/outlet: II. Comparison with experimental and computational studies.” Journal of Sound and Vibration 213 4 619 641 1998
- Denia, F. D. Albelda, J. Fuenmayor, F. J. Torregrosa, A.J. “Acoustic behavior of elliptical chamber mufflers.” Journal of Sound and Vibration 241 3 401 421 2001
- Davis, D. D. Stokes, G. M. Moore, D. Stevens, G. L. “Theoretical and experimental investigation of mufflers with comments of engine-exhaust mufflers design.” NACA-Report-1192 1954
- Chung, J. Blaser, D. “Transfer function method of measuring in-duct acoustic properties. I. Theory.” Journal of Acoustic Society of America 68 3 907 913 1980
- Chung, J. Blaser, D. “Transfer function method of measuring in-duct acoustic properties. II. Experiment.” Journal of Acoustic Society of America 68 3 914 921 1980
- Ross, A. F. Seybert, A. F. “Experimental determination of acoustic properties using a two-microphone random-excitation technique.” Journal of Acoustic Society of America 62 S1 S57 S57 1977
- Song, B. Bolton, J. “A transfer-matrix approach for estimating the characteristic impedance and wave numbers of limp and rigid porous materials.” Journal of Acoustic Society of America 107 3 1131 1152 2000
- Abom, M. “Measurements of scattering matrix of acoustical two-port.” Meccanical System and Signal Processing 5 2 10.1016/0888-3270(91)90017-Y March 1991
- Torregrosa, A.J. Broatch, A. Fernández, T. Denia, F.D. “Description and measurement of the acoustic characteristics of two-tailpipe mufflers” Journal of Acoustic Society of America 119 2 723 728 2006
- Lavrentjev, J. Rämmal, H. “On Experimental Techniques to Determine Acoustic Performance of Small Exhaust Silencers,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-32-0015 2009
- Lavrentjev, J. Rämmal, H. Tiikoja, H. “The Passive Acoustic Effect of Automotive Catalytic Converters,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0219 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0219
- Heuwinkel, C. Enghardt, L. Röhle, I. “Experimental Investigation of the Acoustic Damping of Perforated Liners With Bias Flow.” The 13th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustic Conference, Paper No. AIAA-2007-3525 Rome, Italy May 21 23 2007
- Heuwinkel, C. Enghardt, L. Röhle, I. Muhlbauer, B. Noll, B. Aigner, M. et al. “Comparison of experimental and numerical results concerning the dumping of perforated liners with bias flow.” ASME Turbo Expo 2008: Power for Land, Sea, and Air (GT2008), Paper no. GT2008-50585 829 836 10.1115/GT2008-50585 Berlin, Germany June 9 13 2008
- Bodén, H. Abom, M. “Influence of errors on the two-microphone method for measuring acoustic properties in ducts.” Journal of Acoustic Society of America 79 2 541 549 1986
- Ih, J.-G. Jang, S.-H. “On the multiple microphone method for measuring in-duct acoustic properties in the presence of mean flow.” Journal of Acoustic Society of America 103 3 1520 1526 1998
- Karlsson, M. Abom, M. Glav, R. “Aeroacoustics of Duct Branches-With Application to Silencers,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0218 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0218
- Munjal, L. M. “Acoustics of Ducts and Mufflers.” John Willey and Son 0-471-84738-0 1987
- Morse, P. M. Inard, K. U. “Theoretical Acoustics.” New York McGraw-Hill Book Company 9780691024011 1968
- Rienstra, A. H. Hirschberg, A. “An introduction to acoustics.” Eindhoven University of Technology 2009
- UNI EN ISO 5136, European standard “Determinazione della potenza sonora immessa in un condotto da ventilatori ed altri sistemi di movimentazione dell'aria.” Ente Nazionale Italiano di Unificazione 2009
- UNI EN ISO 10534-1, European standard “Determinazione del coefficiente di assorbimento acustico e dell'impedenza acustica in tubi di impedenza - Metodo con le onde stazionarie.” Ente Nazionale Italiano di Unificazione 2001
- UNI EN ISO 10534-2, European standard “Determinazione del coefficiente di assorbimento acustico e dell'impedenza acustica in tubi di impedenza - Metodo della funzione di trasferimento.” Ente Nazionale Italiano di Unificazione 2001
- Peters, M. C. A. M. Hirschberg, A. Rijnen, A. J. Wijnands, A. P. J. “Damping and Reflection coefficient measurements for an open pipe at low Mach and low Helmholtz number.” Journal of Fluid Mechanics 256 499 534 1993 10.1017/S0022112093002861