This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
PHEV Energy Management: A Comparison of Two Levels of Trip Information
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) have rechargeable energy storage which can be used to run the vehicle on shorter range on electricity from the grid. In the absence of a priori information about the trip, a straightforward strategy is to first deplete the battery down to a minimum level and then keep the state of charge (SoC) around this level. However, largely due to the battery losses, the overall fuel economy can be improved if the battery is discharged gradually. This requires some a priori knowledge about the trip.
This paper investigates the tradeoff between improved fuel economy and the need for a priori information. This investigation is done using a variant of telemetry equivalent consumption minimization strategy (T-ECMS) which is modified to be used for a PHEV. To implement this strategy, several parameters need to be tuned based on an assumption of the future trip. By studying two different levels of details, the tradeoff between fuel economy and a priori information is evaluated. It is shown that the proposed strategy improves the fuel economy considerably even when general information is available. However, increase in the details of the a priori information improves the fuel economy even further.
CitationPourabdollah, M., Larsson, V., johannesson, L., and Egardt, B., "PHEV Energy Management: A Comparison of Two Levels of Trip Information," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0745, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0745.
- Bailey, K. E. Cikanek, S. R. Sureshbabu, N. 2002 Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicle Torque Distribution Method Proceedings of the American Control Conference Anchorage, AK May 8 10 2002
- Bellman, R.E. 1957 Dynamic Programming Princeton University Press Princeton, NJ 2003 Dover
- Larsson, V. Johannesson, L. Egardt, B. 2010 Impact of trip duration uncertainty on optimal discharging strategies for PHEVs Proceedings of the 6th IFAC Symposium Advances in Automotive Control Munich, Germany July 2010
- Tulpule, P. Marano, V. Rizzoni, G. 2010 Energy Management for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles using equivalent consumption minimization strategy Int. J. Electric and Hybrid Vehicles 2 4 2010
- Sciarretta, A. Back, M. Guzzella, L. 2004 Optimal Control of Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicle IEEE Transaction on control systems technology 12 3
- Guzzella, L. Sciarretta, A. 2005 Vehicle Propulsion Systems Springer Berlin, Germany
- Paganelli, G. Guezennec, Y. Rizzoni, G. “Optimizing Control Strategy for Hybrid Fuel Cell Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0102 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0102
- Gu, B. Rizzoni, G. 2006 An Adaptive Algorithm for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Energy Management Based on Driving Pattern Recognition ASME 2006 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition 249 258
- Sciarretta, A. Guzzella, L. 2007 Control of Hybrid Electric Vehicles Control Systems Magazine, IEEE 27 2