This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Energy Wall Losses Estimation of a Gasoline Engine Using a Sliding Mode Observer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes an innovative method to estimate the wall losses during the compression and combustion strokes of a gasoline engine using the cylinder pressure measurement. The estimation during the compression and combustion strokes allows to better represent the system during the combustion. A sliding mode observer is derived from a validated 0-D physical engine model and its convergence and stability are proved. The observer is validated using two different engine models: a one zone engine model and a two zones engine model with flame wall interaction. A good agreement between the estimation results and the model reference is observed, showing the interest of using closed loop strategies to estimate the wall losses in a SI engine.
CitationRivas Caicedo, M., Witrant, E., Sename, O., Higelin, P. et al., "Energy Wall Losses Estimation of a Gasoline Engine Using a Sliding Mode Observer," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0674, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0674.
- Annand, J.D. Heat transfer in the cylinders of reciprocating internal combustion engine Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng 1963
- Woschni, G. “A Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 670931 1967 10.4271/670931
- Hohenberg, G. “Advanced Approaches for Heat Transfer Calculations,” SAE Technical Paper 790825 1979 10.4271/790825
- Han, S. Chung, Y. Kwon, Y. Lee, S. “Empirical Formula for Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 972995 1997 10.4271/972995
- Alizon, F. Transferts de chaleur convectifs dans la chambre de combustion des moteurs à combustion interne: Influence de l'arodynamique interne Technical report PARIS VI 2005
- Shayler, P. May, S. Ma, T. “Heat Transfer to the Combustion Chamber Walls in Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 950686 1995 10.4271/950686
- Yang, J. Martin, J. “Predictions of the Effects of High Temperature Walls, Combustion, and Knock on Heat Transfer in Engine-Type Flows,” SAE Technical Paper 900690 1990 10.4271/900690
- Boust, B. Sotton, J. Bellenoue, M. Rivère, J. “A Novel Physical Approach for Wall Heat Transfer in Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0027 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0027
- Heywood, J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill International Editions 1988
- Perruquetti, W. Sliding mode control in engineering Marcel Dekker, Inc. 2002
- Utkin, V. Sliding mode control design principles and applications to electric drives IEEE 1993
- Meyer, J. Engine modeling of an internal combustion engine with twin independent cam phasing Technical report The Ohio State University 2007
- Bixby, R. Implementing the simplex method: The initial basis ORSA Journal on Computing 4 3 1992
- Rivas, M. Higelin, P. Caillol, C. Sename, O. Witrant, E. Talon, V. Validation and application of a new 0d flame/wall interaction sub model for spark ignited engines Power trains and fuels proceedings, JSAE Kyoto Conference , (2011-01-1893) 2009
- Besancon, G. Nonlinear Observer and Applications Springer 2007
- Khalil, H. Nonlinear systems Prentice Hall 1996
- Butt, Q. Bhatti, A. Estimation of gasoline engine parameters using high order sliding mode IEEE transactions on industrial electronics 55 3891 3898 3891 3898 2008