This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulating Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Using VHDL-AMS
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A commonly used physics based electrochemisty model for a lithium-ion battery cell was first proposed by professor Newman in 1993. The model consists of a tightly coupled set of partial differential equations. Due to the tight coupling between the equations and the 2d implementation due to the particle modeling, and thus called pseudo-2d in literature, numerically obtaining a solution turns out to be challenging even for a lot of commercial softwares. In this paper, the VHDL-AMS language is used to solve the set of equations. VHDL-AMS allows the user to focus on the physical modeling rather than numerically solving the governing equations. In using VHDL-AMS, the user only needs to specify the governing equations after spatial discretization. A simulation environment, which supports VHDL-AMS, can then be used to solve the governing equations and also provides both pre- and post- processing tools. Using such a process, it takes less than two days to implement the Newman model from scratch. The paper introduces the approach by solving simple non-electrochemistry models first followed by solving the full Newman electrochemistry model.
CitationHu, X., Lin, S., and Stanton, S., "Simulating Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Using VHDL-AMS," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0665, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0665.
- Doyle, M. Fuller, T. F. Newman, J. “Modeling of Galvanostatic Charge and Discharge of the Lithium/Polymer/Insertion Cell” Journal of Electrochem. Soc. 140 1526 1533 1993
- Fuller, T. F. Doyle, M. Newman, J. “Simulation and Optimization of the Dual Lithium Ion Insertion Cell” Journal of Electrochem. Soc. 141 1 110 1994
- Doyle, M. Newman, J. “Comparison of Modeling Predictions with Experimental Data from Plastic Lithium Ion Cells” Journal of Electochem. Soc. 143 1890 1903 1996
- Cai, L. White, R. E. “Reduction of Model Order Based on Proper Orthogonal Decomposition for Lithium-Ion Battery Simulations” Journal of Electrochem. Soc. 156 3 A154 A161 2009
- Gu, W. B. Wang, C. Y. “Thermal-Electrochemical Modeling of Battery Systems” Journal of Electrochem . Soc. 147 8 2910 2922 2000
- Cai, L. White, R. E. “An Efficient Electrochemical-Thermal Model for a Lithium-Ion Cell by Using the Proper Orthogonal Decomposition Method” Journal of Electrochem . Soc. 157 11 A1188 A1195 2010
- Ashenden, P. J. Peterson, G. D. Teegarden, D. A. The System Designer's Guide to VHDL-AMS Morgan Kaufmann 2003
- Nikitin, P. V. Richard Shi, C. -J. “VHDL-AMS based modeling and simulation of mixed-technology Microsystems: a tutorial” Integration, the VLSI Journal 40 261 273 2007