This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulating Moving Motorcycle to Moving Car Crashes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
There has been little published research into simulating two-moving motorcycle-to-car collisions for the purpose of accident reconstruction. In this paper a series of two-moving crash tests were conducted to study collisions of this type. These tests used a range of speeds for the cars and the motorcycles involved, with perpendicular and oblique intersection collision impact configurations. The tests were then simulated with two popular crash simulation packages which were not designed to simulate motorcycles. The purpose of this study was to evaluate existing techniques and develop new techniques for simulating motorcycles in these software packages and then to examine the ability of each package to simulate a two-moving motorcycle-to-car crash. The results demonstrate that it is indeed possible to simulate a motorcycle in these packages and that both packages can simulate two-moving motorcycle-to-car crashes reasonably well. Obviously, as with any simulation of a physical event, there are limitations, and they are thoroughly discussed.
CitationFrank, T., Smith, J., Fowler, G., Carter, J. et al., "Simulating Moving Motorcycle to Moving Car Crashes," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0621, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0621.
- Nieboer, J. Wismans, J. Versmissen, A. van Slagmaat, M. et al. “Motorcycle Crash Test Modelling,” SAE Technical Paper 933133 1993 10.4271/933133
- Niederer, P. “Some Aspects of Motorcycle-Vehicle Collision Reconstruction,” SAE Technical Paper 900750 1990 10.4271/900750
- McNally, Bruce F. Bartlett, W. “Motorcycle Speed Estimates Using Conservation of Linear and Rotational Momentum,” 20th Annual Special Problems in Traffic Crash Reconstruction at the Institute of Police Technology and Management University of North Florida Jacksonville, Florida April 15 19 2002
- Severy, D. Brink, H. Blaisdell, D. “Motorcycle Collision Experiments,” SAE Technical Paper 700897 1970 10.4271/700897
- Namiki, H. Nakamura, T. Iijima, S. “A Computer Simulation for Motorcycle Rider Injury Evaluation in Collision,” 19th ESV Paper No. 05-0309 2005
- Chawla, A. Mukherjee, S. Mohan, D. “FE Simulations of Motorcycle - Car Frontal Crashes, Validation and Observations,” 18th ESV 2003
- Deguchi, M. “Modeling of a Motorcycle for Collision Simulation,” 18th ESV Paper No. 157-O 2003
- Deguchi, M. “Simulation of Motorcycle-Car Collision,” 19th ESV Paper No. 05-0041 2005
- McLundie, W.M. “Simulation of 2-Wheeled Rider to Car Accident Scenarios, Using an Adapted LS-DYNA Pedestrian Humanoid,” 18th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Nagoya, Japan 19 22 MAY 2003
- Ibitoye, A.B. Hamouda, A.M.S. Wong, S.V. Radin, R.S. “Simulation of Motorcyclist's Kinematics During Impact with W- Beam Guardrail,” Advances in Engineering Software 37 2006 56 61
- Happian-Smith, J. Macaulay, M. Chinn, B. “Computer Simulation of a Simple Motorcycle in Glancing Impacts with a Rigid Barrier,” SAE Technical Paper 900754 1990 10.4271/900754
- Lei, G. Xian-Long, J. Xian-Long, Z. et al. “Study of Injuries Combining Computer Simulation in Motorcycle-Car Collision Accidents,” Forensic International 177 2008 90 96
- Husher, S. Smith, T. Hermitte, T. “Computational Analysis of Motorcycle Crash Tests - A Basis for Motorcycle Accident Reconstruction,” International Motorcycle Safety Conference 2002
- Deyerl, E. Cheng, L. “Computer Simulation of Staged Motorcycle-Vehicle Collisions Using EDSMAC4,” Accident Reconstruction Journal July August 2007
- Smith, J. Frank, T. Bosch, K. Fowler, G. et al. “Full-Scale Moving Motorcycle into Moving Car Crash Testing for Use in Safety Design and Accident Reconstruction,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0103 2012
- Heydinger, G. Bixel, R. Garrott, W. Pyne, M. et al. “Measured Vehicle Inertial Parameters-NHTSA's Data Through November 1998,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1336 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1336
- Fricke, L. B. “Traffic Accident Reconstruction, Vol. 2 of the Traffic Accident Investigation Manual,” 0-912642-07-6 1990