This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flow Field Characterization of Superheated Sprays from a Multi-Hole Injector by Using High-Speed PIV
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Superheated spray is expected to improve the fuel atomization and evaporation processes by introducing fuel temperature as a new control parameter in spark-ignited direct-injection (SIDI) engines. In this study, flow fields of n-hexane spray from a multi-hole injector in both vertical and cross-sectional directions were investigated by using high-speed particle image velocimetry (HS-PIV) within the lower density regions. The results provide insight to the spray-collapsing processes under various superheated conditions. It was found that in axial direction, the vertical velocity increases while the radial velocity decreases with increasing superheat degree, which determines the convergent spray structure. In cross-sectional direction, the dynamic variation of the spray structure and interaction among spray plumes were investigated. The relationship between the spray structure and flow field was found. The flow patterns during and after the injection are significantly different. Streamlines of fuel spray at various superheated degrees were analyzed and compared which provide an intuitive understanding of the flow patterns. This study reveals that the superheat degree is the predominant factor influencing the flow field, thus the structure of the superheated spray.
CitationZhang, M., Xu, M., Zhang, Y., and Zeng, W., "Flow Field Characterization of Superheated Sprays from a Multi-Hole Injector by Using High-Speed PIV," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0457, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0457.
- Zhao, F. Lai, M. C. Harrington, D. L. Automotive spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 1999 25 437 562
- Lefebvre, A. H. Atomization and Sprays Taylor & Francis Washington 1989
- Zhao, H. Ladommatos, N. “Engine Combustion Instrumentation and Diagnostics,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 978-0-7680-0665-0 2001 10.4271/R-264
- Hiroyasu, H. Arai, M. “Structures of Fuel Sprays in Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 900475 1990 10.4271/900475
- Xu, M. Porter, D. Daniels, C. Panagos, G. et al. “Soft Spray Formation of a Low-Pressure High-Turbulence Fuel Injector for Direct Injection Gasoline Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2746 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2746
- Jeong, D. Y. Park, S. J. Lee, J. T. An Analysis on the Suitable Injection Pressure of Diesel Injection with high Pressure 9 th International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems 2003
- Sher, E. Bar-Kohany, T. Rashkovan, A. Flash-boiling atomization Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 34 2008 417 439
- Oza, R. Sinnamon, J. “An Experimental and Analytical Study of Flash-Boiling Fuel Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 830590 1983 10.4271/830590
- Aleiferis, P. G. Serras-Pereira, J. et.al. Effect of fuel temperature on in-nozzle cavitation and spray formation of liquid hydrocarbons and alcohols from a real-size optical injector for direct-injection spark-ignition engines International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 53 2010 4588 4606
- Vieira, M. M. Simões, M. Low-Pressure Flashing Mechanisms in Iso-octane Liquid Jets J. Fluid Mech. 572 121 144
- Karami, R. Ashgriz, N. Tran, H. N. The Effect of Flashing on Characteristics of Sprays of Splash-Plate Nozzles ILASS Americas 2010
- Ozdor, N. Dulger, M. Sher, E. “Cyclic Variability in Spark Ignition Engines A Literature Survey,” SAE Technical Paper 940987 1994 10.4271/940987
- Zhang, M. Xu, M. Zhang, Y. Y. Zhang, G. M. High-Speed PIV Evaluation of Fuel Sprays under Superheated Conditions ILASS-Asia 2010 105 111
- Zhang, M. Xu, M. Zhang, Y. Zeng, W. “Flow-field Evaluation of Superheated Fuel Sprays using High-Speed PIV,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1880 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1880
- Zhang, G. M. Xu, M. Zhang, Y. Y. Zhang, M. Cleary, D. J. Macroscopic Characterization of Flash Boiling Sprays using Laser Induced Exciplex Fluorescence from a Multi-Hole DI Injector ILASS-Asia 2010 112 116
- Zhang, G.M. Xu, M. Zhang, Y.Y. Zhang, M. Cleary, D. J. Cross-Sectional Liquid and Vapor Distribution LIEF Imaging in Superheated Sprays Proceeding of the 21st symposium on Combustion Okayama, Japan 2010
- Zhang, G. Xu, M. Zhang, Y. Zeng, W. “Quantitative Measurements of Liquid and Vapor Distributions in Flash Boiling Fuel Sprays using Planar Laser Induced Exciplex Technique,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1879 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1879