This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Breakup Process of Diesel Fuel Spray by Micro Probe L2F
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A laser 2-focus velocimeter (L2F) was used for measurements of velocity and size of droplets in diesel sprays. The L2F has a micro-scale probe which consists of two foci. The focal diameter is about 3 μm, and the distance between two foci is 18 μm. The data acquisition rate of the L2F was increased to 15 MHz in order to capture every droplet appearing in the measurement volume. Diesel fuel was injected intermittently into the atmosphere using a 5-hole injector nozzle. The diameter of the nozzle orifice was 0.113 mm. The injection pressure was set at 80 and 120 MPa by using a common rail system and the ambient pressure was varied from 0.1 to 3 MPa. The period of injector solenoid energizing was set at 3.0 ms. Droplets were evaluated in a period of 0.2 ms just after the spray tip passed the measurement position. Measurement positions were located at 6, 9 and 12 mm from the nozzle exit. The effect of ambient pressure on the droplet velocity in the near-nozzle region was unremarkable. It was clearly shown that the droplet size was decreased with the increase of ambient pressure. The droplet breakup might be enhanced by the increase in the ambient density. It was found that the rate of decrease in Weber number along the distance of droplet flight had a strong relation with Weber number under various ambient pressures and injection pressures.
CitationKomada, K., Sakaguchi, D., Ueki, H., and Ishida, M., "Evaluation of Breakup Process of Diesel Fuel Spray by Micro Probe L2F," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0452, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0452.
- Crua., C Kennaird., D, A, Heikal., M.R. Laser-induced incandescence study of diesel soot formation in a rapid compression machine at elevated pressures Combustion and Flame 135 4 475 488 2003
- Fezzaa, K. Lee, W-K. Cheong, S-K. Power., C, F. Lai., M-C. Wang., J. High-Pressure Diesel Injection Studied by Time-Resolved X-Ray Phase-Contrast Imaging Proc. ILASS-Asia 209 212 2005
- Takeda, T. Okumura, N. Senda, J. Study on Droplet Measurement of Unsteady Diesel Spray Using Phase Doppler Anemometry (PDA) 1 5 Proc. ICLASS-2006 2006
- Roiseman, I, V. Araneo, L. Tropea, C. Effect of ambient pressure on penetration of a diesel spray International Journal of Multiphase Flow 33 904 920 2007
- Kastengren, L-A. Powell, F-C. Wang, Y. Im, K. Wang, J. X-Ray Radiography Measurements of Diesel Spray Structure at Engine-Like Ambient Density ILASS Americas 2008
- Han, J. Lu, P. Xie, X. Lai, M. et al. “Investigation of Diesel Spray Primary Break-up and Development for Different Nozzle Geometries,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2775 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2775
- Lacoste, J. Crua, C. Heikal, M. Kennaird, D. et al. “PDA Characterisation of Dense Diesel Sprays Using a Common-Rail Injection System,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3085 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3085
- Hung, C. Martin, J. Koo, J. “Injection Pressure Effects Upon Droplet Behavior in Transient Diesel Sprays,” SAE Technical Paper 970053 1997 10.4271/970053
- Arcoumanis, C. Gavaises, M. French, B. “Effect of Fuel Injection Processes on the Structure of Diesel Sprays,” SAE Technical Paper 970799 1997 10.4271/970799
- Chryssakis, C. Assanis, D. Bae, C. “Development and Validation of a Comprehensive CFD Model of Diesel Spray Atomization Accounting for High Weber Numbers,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1546 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1546
- Chaves, H. Kirmse, C. Obermeier, F. Velocity Measurements of Dense Diesel Sprays in Pressurized Air Proceedings of Spray 2001 TU Hamburg-Harburg II.2-1 II.2-8 2001
- Schugger, C. Meingast, U. Renz, U. Time-Resolved Velocity Measurements in the Primary Breakup Zone of a High Pressure Diesel Injection Nozzle Proceedings of ILASS-Europe 2000 Darmstadt 1 5 2000
- Ueki, H. Ishida, M. Sakaguchi, D. Simultaneous Measurement of Particle Size and Velocity by Laser 2-Focus Particle Analyzer Proc. ICLASS94 483 490 1994
- Ueki, H. Ishida, M. Sakaguchi, D. Naganuma, M. Simultaneous Measurements of Velocity and Size of Diesel Fuel Droplet near Nozzle Orifice by Laser 2-Focus Velocimeter with Micro-Scale Probe Volume Proc. Thiesel 369 380 2004
- Ueki, H. Ishida, M. Sakaguchi, D. Amida, O. Measurement of Number Density Distribution in Dense Region of Diesel Fuel Spray by Micro-Probe L2F Proceedings of The 7th COMODIA, International Conference on Modeling and Diagnostics for Advanced Engine Systems 625 632 2008