This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electric Drivetrain Testing Using Smart Green Technology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Electric Motor and Drivetrain (Electric Mobility) Testing is a critical part of bringing any electric drivetrain into production. In this paper the requirements for an electric drivetrain test cell are discussed. The implementations of such test cells are described and examples of test results are provided. In particular, the energy and power requirements for PM brushless DC dynamometers and a PM brushless Unit Under Test (UUT) connected through a common dc bus are described. Simulation of the set-up is developed using MATLAB/Simulink and verified using empirical data from the test bench. The data used represents various steady state load conditions during durability test cycles. This “Smart Green Technology” concept not only reduces the energy requirement from the grid but also eliminates the inefficiencies related to putting energy back on the grid.
CitationChanda, S., Snyder, A., and Rzemien, K., "Electric Drivetrain Testing Using Smart Green Technology," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0338, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0338.
- Ehsani, M. Gao, Y. Gay, S.E. Emadi, A. “Modern Electric, Hybrid Electric, and Fuel Cell Vehicles: Fundamentals, Theory and Design” CRC 2005
- Gieras, J.F. Wing, M. “Permanent Magnet Motor Technology” 0-8247-9794-9 Marcel Dekker New York 1997
- Filippa, Mariano Mi, Chunting Shen, John Stevenson, Randy C. ‘Modeling of a Hybrid Electric Vehicle Powertrain Test Cell Using Bond Graphs” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology May 2005
- Wagener, A. Schulte, T. Waeltermann, P. Schuette, H. “Hardware-in-the-Loop Test Systems for Electric Motors in Advanced Powertrain Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0498 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0498
- Krishnan, R. “Permanent Magnet Synchronous and Brushless DC Motor Drives” 213 2010