This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Envelope Protection System for Iced Airfoils Using Flap Hinge Moment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A stall prediction method based on unsteady hinge moment measurements was previously developed from experimental hinge moment measurements on a NACA 3415 airfoil model under a clean configuration and four iced configurations. The stall prediction algorithm was based on three separate detector functions. Additional hinge moment measurements have been obtained experimentally for a NACA 23012 airfoil model, using these same clean and iced configurations. Tests were also conducted with boundary-layer trips on the model upper and lower surfaces. The addition of simulated icing degraded the performance of the NACA 23012. Upon application of the hinge moment stall prediction method, two of the six configurations provided detector function outputs that were inconsistent with the other four configurations. Further investigation revealed differences in the hinge moment signal between contamination configurations due to the presence of different types and extents of primary stall mechanisms. Larger amounts of energy were observed in the hinge moment at low-frequency ranges for the clean and simulated horn-ice cases than the other contamination configurations. This increase in energy was attributed to greater energy content in the pressure forcing on the flap upper surface at these low frequencies.
CitationAnsell, P., Bragg, M., and Kerho, M., "Envelope Protection System for Iced Airfoils Using Flap Hinge Moment," SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0066, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-38-0066.
- Jones, S. M., Reveley, M. S., Evans, J.K., and Barrientos, F. A., Subsonic Aircraft Safety Icing Study, NASA TM-2008-215107, Jan. 2008.
- Reehorst, A. L., Addy, H. E., and Colantonio, R. O., “Examination of Icing Induced Loss of Control and Its Mitigations,” AIAA-2010-8140, AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Toronto, Ontario, Aug. 2010.
- Busch, G. T., Broeren, A. P., and Bragg, M. B., “Aerodynamic Simulation of a Horn-ice Accretion on a Subscale Model,” AIAA-2007-0087, 45th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, Jan. 2007.
- Bragg, M. B., Broeren, A. P., and Blumenthal, L., “Iced-Airfoil Aerodynamics,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 41, No. 5, 2005, pp. 323-362.
- Ratvasky, T. P., Barnhart, B. P., and Lee, S., “Current Methods Modeling and Simulating Icing Effects on Aircraft Performance, Stability, Control,” AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 47, No. 1, 2010, pp. 201-211.
- Trunov, O. K. and Ingelman-Sundberg, M., “On the Problem of Horizontal Tail Stall Due to Ice,” The Swedish-Soviet Working Group on Scientific-Technical Cooperation in the Field of Flight Safety, Report No. JR-3, 1985.
- National Transportation Safety Board. 22 October 1996. Probable Cause, Regist. Number N401AM. National Transportation Safety Board Aviation Accident Database and Synopses. Washington, DC.
- Gurbacki, H.M. and Bragg, M.B., “Sensing Aircraft Effects by Flap Hinge Moment Measurements,” AIAA-99-3149, 17th Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Norfolk, VA, Jun. 1999.
- Bragg, M. B. and Gurbacki, H. M. “Aircraft Surface Contamination Sensing System Using Control Surface Hinge Moment Measurements.” Patent 6,140,942. 31 Oct. 2000.
- Catlin, P. A., Ballard, D. C., Watson, G. S., and Worden, A. M., “Aircraft Stall Warning System.” Patent 5,595,357. 21 Jan. 1997.
- Bragg, M. B., Basar, T., Perkins, W. R., Selig, M. S., Voulgaris, P. G., Melody, J. W., and Sarter, N. B., “Smart Icing Systems for Aircraft Icing Safety,” 40th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, Jan. 2002.
- Keller, J. D., McKillip, R. M., and Kim, S., “Aircraft Flight Envelope Determination using Upset Detection and Physical Modeling Methods,” AIAA-2009-6259, AIAA Guidance, Navication, and Control Conference, Chicago, IL, Aug. 2009.
- Gingras, D. R., Barnhart, B., Ranaudo, R., Ratvasky, T. P., and Morelli, E., “Envelope Protection for In-Flight Ice Contamination,” AIAA-2009-1458, 47th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including The New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Orlando, FL, Jan. 2009.
- Ansell, P. J., Bragg, M.B., and Kerho, M. F., “Envelope Protection System Using Flap Hinge Moment Measurements,” AIAA-2010-4225, 28th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Chicago, IL, Jun. 2010.
- Kerho, M. F., Bragg, M. B., and Ansell, P. J., “Detector Function and System for Predicting Airfoil Stall from Hinge Moment Measurements,” Provisional Application for Patent, No. 61/442,054.
- Ansell, P. J., “Flight Envelope Protection Using Flap Hinge Moment Measurement,” M.S. Thesis, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2010.
- Pohlhausen, E., “Der Wärmeaustausch zwischen fester Körpen und Flüssigkeiten mit kleiner Reibung und kleiner Wärmeleitung,” Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik, Vol. 1, 1921, pp. 115-121.
- Lee, S., Bragg, M. B., “Experimental Investigation of Simulated Large-Droplet Ice Shapes on Airfoil Aerodynamics,” AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 36, No. 5, 1999, pp. 844-855.
- Broeren, A. P., Whalen, E. A., Busch, G. T., and Bragg, M. B., “Aerodynamic Simulation of Runback Ice Accretion,” AIAA-2009-4261, 1st AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, San Antonio, TX, June 2009.
- Lu, B. and Bragg, M. B., “Airfoil Drag Measurements with Simulated Leading-Edge Ice Using the Wake Survey Method,” AIAA-2003-1094, 41st Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, Jan. 2003.
- Whalen, E. A., Broeren, A. P., and Bragg, M. B., “Aerodynamics of Scaled Runback Ice Accretions,” AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 45, No. 3, 2008, pp. 591-603.
- Broeren, A. P., Bragg, M. B., Lee, S., Moens, F., and Guffond, D., “Effect of High-Fidelity Ice Accretion Simulations on the Performance of a Full-Scale Airfoil Model,” AIAA-2008-434, 46th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, Jan. 2008.
- Busch, G. T., Broeren, A. P., and Bragg, M. B., “Aerodynamic Fidelity of Sub-scale Two-Dimensional Ice Accretion Simulations,” AIAA-2008-7062, 26th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Honolulu, HI, Aug. 2008.
- Broeren, A. P. and Bragg, M. B., “Effect of Airfoil Geometry on Performance with Simulated Intercycle Ice Accretions,” AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 42, No. 1, 2005, pp. 121-130; also AIAA Paper 2003-0728, Jan. 2003.
- McCullough, G. B. and Gault, D. E., Examples of Three Representative Types of Airfoil-Section Stall at Low Speed, NACA-TN-2502, Sept. 1951.
- Sarter, N. B. and Schroeder, B., “Supporting Decision Making and Action Selection under Time Pressure and Uncertainty: The Case of In-Flight Icing,” Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, Vol. 43, No. 4, 2001, pp. 573-583.
- Broeren, A. P., “An Experimental Study of Unsteady Flow over Airfoils near Stall,” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2000.
- Gurbacki, H. M., “Ice-Induced Unsteady Flowfield Effects on Airfoil Performance,” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003.