This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nowcasting Aircraft Icing Conditions in the Presence of Multilayered Clouds Using Meteorological Satellite Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Cloud properties retrieved from satellite data are used to diagnose aircraft icing threat in single layer and multilayered ice-over-liquid clouds. The algorithms are being applied in real time to the Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite (GOES) data over the CONUS with multilayer data available over the eastern CONUS. METEOSAT data are also used to retrieve icing conditions over western Europe. The icing algorithm's methodology and validation are discussed along with future enhancements and plans. The icing risk product is available in image and digital formats on NASA Langley ‘s Cloud and Radiation Products web site, http://www-angler.larc.nasa.gov.
CitationSpangenberg, D., Minnis, P., Smith, W., and Chang, F., "Nowcasting Aircraft Icing Conditions in the Presence of Multilayered Clouds Using Meteorological Satellite Data," SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0041, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-38-0041.
- Minnis, P., Smith, W.L.Jr., Nguyen, L., Spangenberg, D.A., Heck, P.W., Palikonda, R., Ayers, J.K., Wolff, C., and Murray, J.J., 2004: Near-real time cloud properties and aircraft icing indices from GEO and LEO satellites. Earth Observing Systems IX Conf., International Symposium on Optical Science and Technology, SPIE 49th Annual Meeting, Denver, CO 2-6 Aug.
- Minnis, P., Sun-Mack, S., Young, D.F., Heck, P.W., Garber, D.P., Chen, Y., Spangenberg, D.A., Arduini, R.F., Trepte, Q.Z., Smith, W.L.Jr., Ayers, J.K., Gibson, S.C., Miller, W.F., Chakrapani, V., Takano, Y., Liou, K-N, and Xie, Y., 2010: CERES Edition-2 cloud property retrievals using TRMM VIRS and Terra and Aqua MODIS data, Part I: Algorithms. Accepted for pub, IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens.
- Chang, F-L and Li, Z., 2005: A new method for detection of cirrus overlapping water clouds and determination of their optical properties. J. Atmos. Sci., 62, 3993-4009.
- Chang, F-L, Minnis, P., Lin, B., Palikonda, R., Khaiyer, M., and Sun-Mack, S., 2008: Retrieving cloud properties for multilayered clouds using simulated GOES-R data. AMS 5th GOES Users’ Conference, New Orleans, LA, January 23-24, CD-ROM, P1.69.
- Chang, F-L, Minnis, P., Ayers, J. K., Khaiyer, M., and Palikonda, R., 2010: Using ARM data to evaluate and improve multilayer cloud property retrievals from GOES-East data. Second Science Team Meeting of the Atmospheric System Research (ASR) program San Antonio, TX Mar 28-Apr 1.