This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Computer Model Results for a Bleed Air Ice Protection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Results from a two-dimensional computer model developed at Wichita State University (WSU) for bleed air system analysis are compared with experimental data from icing tunnel tests performed with a wing model equipped with a hot air ice protection system. The computer model combines a commercial Navier-Stokes flow solver with a steady-state thermodynamic analysis model that applies internal flow heat transfer correlations to compute wing leading edge skin temperatures and the location and extent of the runback ice. The icing tunnel data used in the validation of the computer model were obtained at the NASA Icing Research Tunnel using representative in-flight icing conditions and a range of bleed air system mass flows and hot air temperatures. Correlation between experiment and analysis was good for most of the test cases used to assess the performance of the simulation model. A study was also conducted with the computer model developed to evaluate the accuracy of a methodology for scaling in-flight icing and external flow conditions to accurately reproduce the performance of bleed air ice protection systems in ground-based icing facilities. In general, the results of the scaling study demonstrated good correlation in leading edge temperature distributions and runback ice shape locations between the scaled and reference (full-scale) flight conditions.
CitationPapadakis, M., Zamora Rodriguez, A., and Domingos, R., "Experimental and Computer Model Results for a Bleed Air Ice Protection System," SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0034, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-38-0034.
- Domingos, R. H. Papadakis, M. Zamora, A.O. “Computational Methodology for Bleed Air Ice Protection System Parametric Analysis” AIAA paper 2010-7834 Aug. 2010
- Papadakis, M. Wong, S. Yeong, H. Wong, S. et al. “Experimental Investigation of a Bleed Air Ice Protection System,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3313 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3313
- Papadakis, M. Wong, S.-H. Yeong, H.W. Wong, S.C. Vu, G.T. “Icing Tunnel Experiments with a Hot Air Anti-Icing System” AIAA Paper 2008-0444 Jan. 2008
- Papadakis, M. Wong, S.-H. Yeong, H.W. Wong, S.C. Vu, G.T. “Icing Tests of a Wing Model with a Hot-Air Ice Protection System” AIAA Paper 2010-7833 Aug. 2010
- Zamora, A.O. “Numerical Investigation of a Wing Hot Air Ice Protection System” M.S. thesis Aerospace Engineering Department, Wichita State University Wichita, KS 2009
- Wong, S.-H. Papadakis, M. Zamora, A.O. “Computational Investigation of a Bleed Air Ice Protection System” AIAA Paper 2009-3966 Jun. 2009
- Wright, W.B. “User Manual for the NASA Glenn Ice Accretion Code LEWICE Version 2.2.2” Aug. 2002
- Wright, W.B. “Users Manual for the NASA Glenn Ice Accretion Code LEWICE Version 3.0” Apr. 2003
- Messinger, B.L. “Equilibrium Temperature of an Unheated Icing Surface as a Function of Airspeed” Journal of Aeronautical Sciences 20 1 29 42 1953
- Myers, T.G. “Extension to the Messinger Model for Aircraft Icing” AIAA Journal 39 2 211 218 2001
- Lima da Silva, G.A. de Mattos Silvares, O. Godoy de Jesus Zerbini, E.J. “Numerical Simulation of Airfoil Thermal Anti-Ice Operation, Part 1: Mathematical Modeling” Journal of Aircraft 44 2 627 634 2007
- Gelder, T.F. Lewis, J.P. “Comparison of Heat Transfer from Airfoil in Natural and Simulated Icing Conditions,” NACA TN 2480 Sept. 1951
- Silveira, R.A. “Simulação Numérica da Formação de Gelo na Borda de Ataque de Perfis Aerodinâmicos” M.S. thesis Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina Florianópolis, SC, Brazil 2001
- Donatti, C.N. “Simulação Numérica da Formação de Gelo com Modelo de Rugosidade em Perfis Aerodinâmicos” M.S. thesis Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina Florianópolis, SC, Brazil 2007
- Drela, M. Youngren, H “XFOIL 6.9 User Primer” MIT Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics 2001
- Whalen, E. Broeren, A. Bragg, M. Lee, S. “Characteristics of Runback Ice Accretions on Airfoils and their Aerodynamic Effects” AIAA paper 2005-1065 Jan. 2005