This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improvements in Numerical Analysis of Droplet Impingement Using Lagrangian Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Lagrangian approach has been widely adopted in the droplet impingement analysis for aircraft icing simulation. Some improvements were proposed, including: 1) The heat and mass transfer consideration in droplet dynamics; 2) More efficient droplet localization method, which could and facilitated to find the initial cell in Eulerian grid; 3) New computation method of impingement efficiency, which uses the cover ratio to transform the impingement efficiency of arbitrary impinged region to that of the cell element of body surface and avoids the iterative computation to find the trajectories reaching the corner of the panel or cell element. A numerical solver was built and integrated with the capabilities to deal with super-cooled large droplet (SLD) conditions by considering the splashing and bouncing of SLD. The computational results were validated with the experiment data, which shown good agreements in the impingement limitations and tendency.
CitationKe, P. and Wang, X., "Improvements in Numerical Analysis of Droplet Impingement Using Lagrangian Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0004, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-38-0004.
- Gent, R.W. Trajice2 - a Combined Water Droplet Trajectory and Ice Accretion Prediction Program for Aerofoils [R] 1990
- Wright, W.B. Potapczuk, M.G. Levinson, L.H. Comparison of Lewice and Glennice in the Sld Regime [A] AIAA 2008-0439 2008
- Hedde, T. Guffond, D. Onera Three-Dimensional Icing Model [J] AIAA Journal 1995 33 6 1038 1045
- Morency, F. Tezok, F. Paraschivoiu, I. Anti-Icing System Simulation Using Canice [J] Journal of Aircraft 1999 36 6 999 1006
- Widhalm, M. Ronzheimer, A. Meyer, J. Lagrangian Particle Tracking on Large Unstructured Three-Dimensional Meshes [A] AIAA 2008-472 2008
- Peng, K. Shuguang, Z. Jianghao, W. et al. An Improved Known Vicinity Algorithm Based on Geometry Test for Particle Localization in Arbitrary Grid [J] Journal of Computational Physics 2009
- Nathman, J.K. Mccomas, A. Icing Collection Efficiency from Direct Simulation 2007 9 6086 6092
- Papadakis, M. Hung, K.E. Vu, G.T. et al. Experimental Investigation of Water Droplet Impingement on Airfoils, Finite Wings, and an S-Duct Engine Inlet [R] NASA, NASA / TM--2002-211700 2002
- Papadakis, M. Rachman, A. Wong, S.-C. et al. Water Impingement Experiments on a Naca 23012 Airfoil with Simulated Glaze Ice Shapes 42nd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit January 5 2004 January 8 2004 2004 5528 5568
- Bidwell, C.S. Mohler, S.R. Collection Efficiency and Ice Accretion Calculations for a Sphere, Aswept Ms(1)-317 Wing, a Swept Naca-0012 Wing Tip, an Axisymmetric Inlet, and a Boeing 737-300 Inlet [A] AIAA-95-0755 Reno, NV AIAA 1995