This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamics: Analytical and Experimental Integrated Development Process, Applied on Last FGA Vehicles with Low Environmental Impact and Under Implementation on the New Models
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 09, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Energy efficiency has become a major requirement and constraint in the automotive industry, playing a fundamental role on the product development. A relevant contribution to achieve lower fuel consumption and CO2 emission is given by the aerodynamic efficiency.
Drag resistance reduction requires to develop and apply up to date analysis tools, to be able to rapidly evaluate and validate style shapes as a trade-off between drag performance and pure style requirements. Since the product development plans have highly stretched timings and several refinement loops may be required to achieve all the targets, the ability to analyse in detail the flow field characteristics in the most critical areas for a “bluff body” must be combined with the need to obtain the necessary information in a short time compatible with the vehicle planning. Therefore, both physical tests and virtual analysis simulations have to be applied and integrated throughout the development process.
This paper intends to present, with some application examples, both analytical techniques and experimental measurement in the wind tunnel, together with the improvements introduced to the management of the product development process, that have been recently carried out in the design of the latest vehicles with low environmental impact
CitationStellato, M., Mangiantini, R., Scantamburlo, G., and Bonifacino, A., "Aerodynamics: Analytical and Experimental Integrated Development Process, Applied on Last FGA Vehicles with Low Environmental Impact and Under Implementation on the New Models," SAE Technical Paper 2011-37-0032, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-37-0032.
- Cogotti, A. De Gregorio, F. “Presentation of Flow Field Investigation by PIV on a Full-Scale Car in the Pininfarina Wind Tunnel,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0870 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0870
- Stellato, M. Test of PIV technique in a full scale wind tunnel PivNet Workshop 1999
- Cogotti, A. “Generation of a Controlled Level of Turbulence in the Pininfarina Wind Tunnel for the Measurement of Unsteady Aerodynamics and Aeroacoustics,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0430 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0430
- Gilhome, B. Saunders, J. Sheridan, J. “Time Averaged and Unsteady Near-Wake Analysis of Cars,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1040 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1040
- Dantec Dynamics Principles of Particle Image Velocimetry