A Novel Seamless 2-Speed Transmission System for Electric Vehicles: Principles and Simulation Results
- Aldo Sorniotti - Univ. of Surrey ,
- Gabriele Loro Pilone - Univ. of Surrey ,
- Fabio Viotto - Oerlikon Graziano Drive Systems ,
- Stefano Bertolotto - Oerlikon Graziano Drive Systems ,
- Mike Everitt - Vocis Driveline Controls ,
- Rob Barnes - Vocis Driveline Controls ,
- Ian Morrish - Vocis Driveline Controls
- Journal Article
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-37-0022
Published June 9, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Sorniotti, A., Loro Pilone, G., Viotto, F., Bertolotto, S. et al., "A Novel Seamless 2-Speed Transmission System for Electric Vehicles: Principles and Simulation Results," SAE Int. J. Engines 4(2):2671-2685, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-37-0022.
This article deals with a novel 2-speed transmission system specifically designed for electric axle applications. The design of this transmission permits seamless gearshifts and is characterized by a simple mechanical layout. The equations governing the overall system dynamics are presented in the paper. The principles of the control system for the seamless gearshifts achievable by the novel transmission prototype - currently under experimental testing at the University of Surrey and on a prototype vehicle - are analytically demonstrated and detailed through advanced simulation tools. The simulation results and sensitivity analyses for the main parameters affecting the overall system dynamics are presented and discussed.