This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermoelectric Generator Applied to a Baja SAE Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 04, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The limited thermal efficiency in internal combustion engines provides a partial transformation of fuel energy in net power. The heat lost through the exhaust gases represent a significant portion of energy looses. The Seebeck Effect is the direct conversion of temperature differences between two dissimilar metals or semiconductors into electrical voltage. The present study demonstrates the application of thermoelectric generators technology in Baja SAE vehicles to recovery exhaust heat looses, using thermal energy converter devices. The electrical energy produced in Seebeck Effect Cells, assembly in engine exhaust manifold, is conditioned and applied in vehicle batteries and supply energy consumption during vehicle operation. This action could increase the vehicle energy efficiency by the recovery the thermal energy dissipated. This extra power supply makes possible the reduction of on board batteries charge capacity and also recharges them without external power sources. The global efficiency and a balance of energy by the using of Seebeck Effect Cells are shown in this paper.
CitationPujatti, F., Gomes, F., Moura de Oliveira, F., and Pereira, V., "Thermoelectric Generator Applied to a Baja SAE Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0373, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-36-0373.
- ALVES, L. M. Estudo da solidificação e do processamento cerâmico de ligas de silício-germânio para aplicações termoelétricas São Carlos, Brasil 1995
- GOLDSMID, H.J. Thermoelectric refrigeration New York, USA Plenum Press 1964 240
- HEYWOOD, J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals New York, USA McGraw-Hill 1995 930
- INCROPERA, F. P. DEWITT, D. P. Fundamentals of heat and mass transfer da Silva Carlos Alberto Biolchini Rio de Janeiro, Brasil LTC 2003 698p
- SADIKU, M. N. O. ALEXANDER, C. K Fundamentos de Circuitos Elétricos Parma Gustavo Guimarães Porto Alegre Bookman 2003 857