This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flex Fuel Filter with Higher Dust Holding Capacity
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 04, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The flex-fuel engine technology evolution and bio fuels increasingly market presence brings new challenges on components development requirements. One of the affected products is the fuel filter, where downsizing, dust holding capacity and filtration efficiency are the improvement goals.
In order to attend these market demands, MAHLE has developed a new flex-fuel filter generation. This new product is able to double the dust holding capacity while maintaining the filtration efficiency. In addition, new product dimensions, like body diameter and distance between inlet and outlet, are the same found in current solutions. In this way, it can be used in many vehicles with none or few modifications at interface components.
First optimization was done through changes in filter housing design and fuel system line connectors. Second optimization was single layer cellulose media improvement to multilayer concept. Comparative tests between this new flex-fuel filter generation and current solution was done to confirm performance improvement.
CitationYoshino, F., Marques, G., Fritz, L., de Aquiar, B. et al., "Flex Fuel Filter with Higher Dust Holding Capacity," SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0213, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-36-0213.
- Ferrarese, A. Marques, G. Tomanik, E. Bruno, R. et al. “Piston Ring Tribological Challenges on the Next Generation of Flex-fuel Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3 2 85 91 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1529
- An overview of the technical implications of Methanol and Ethanol use as Highway motor vehicle fuels SAE International Fuels and lubricating 1991 Black, F. SAE 912413
- The Development and Performance of a High Blend Ethanol Fueled Vehicle SAE 2000 Future Cars Congress Davis, G. Heil, E. SAE 2000-01-1602
- ASEAN U.S. Enhanced Partnership - Biofuels and the Automotive Industry Seminar Siam City Hotel Bangkok October 24 2007
- Handbook of filter media Second Purchas, Derek B. Sutherland, Ken 2002 Elsevier Science
- SAE Paper 2011-36-0217 Investigation of the gel formation and filter solutions in the fuel system for Flex-Fuel Vehicles Yoshino, F. Cordeiro, S. SAE BRAZIL 2011
- ISO19438 2003