This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Modelling of Water Vapor Fogging and Defogging Within Automotives Headlamps
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 04, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The goal of the present work is to simulate through a commercial CFD code the flow within the headlamp, including the condensation process in the lens of the headlamp. Considering the results, it has been possible to obtain a better comprehension of the condensation process, temperature profile and moist air flow inside the headlamp. Looking for the upgrade in headlamps designs, a mathematical model able to represent the water fogging and defogging conditions on the lens of automotive headlamp was develop. The proposed model represents evaporation and condensation of water film on specified walls. Relative humidity profile within the headlamp has also been analyzed, evaluating the regions where the moisture is closer of the saturation condition. The obtained results in simulation have been in concordance with expected ones, showing the same condensation regions observed in the experimental tests performed by the automaker. Based on this comparison, is has been possible to validate CFD techniques aiding engineers in the design of this important automotive equipment.
- Jairo Zago de Souza - Engineering Simulation and Scientific Software (ESSS)
- Leonardo Paes Rangel - Engineering Simulation and Scientific Software (ESSS)
- Rodrigo Peralta Muniz Moreira - Engineering Simulation and Scientific Software (ESSS)
- Geraldo Severi @sJr. - Engineering Simulation and Scientific Software (ESSS)
- Gustavo Antunes Vieira de Menezes - Fiat Automóveis S.A.
CitationVieira de Menezes, G., Zago de Souza, J., Rangel, L., Moreira, R. et al., "CFD Modelling of Water Vapor Fogging and Defogging Within Automotives Headlamps," SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0167, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-36-0167.
- ANSYS FLUENT 12.0 Documentation January 2009
- DEPONT, A. et al. Modeling of condensate formation and disposal inside an automotive headlamp Newsletter Engmsoft Year 6 2 2009
- MALISKA, C. R. Transferência de calor e mecânica dos fluidos computacional [in portuguese] 2a LTC Editora Rio de Janeiro, Brasil 2004
- FIVELAND, W. A JAMALUDDIN, A. S. Three-Dimensional Spectral Radiative Heat Transfer Solutions by the Discrete Ordmates Method HTD 106 Heat Transfer Phenomena in Radiation, Combustion and Fires 43 48 1989