This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Agitation Rate on Residual Stresses and Distortion on Quenched AISI 5160 Steel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 04, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The rapid cooling in quenching heat treatment results in thermal stresses due to high thermal gradients. Thermal residual stresses can potentially affect the martensitic transformation as well the distortions. Distortion is one of the main problems of manufacturing and heat treatment is the main cause of this phenomena. It is known, that the quenchant agitation is a parameter that influences the cooling rates and consequently the residual stresses and distortions. In this way this work proposes to quench an AISI 5160 steel in three different levels of agitation, a conventional mineral oil at the same temperature. Cooling curves analysis, finite element simulation and metallographic observation support the obtained conclusions. It is found that a moderate agitation rate produces better results in terms of distortion and thermal residual stresses.
CitationPenha, R., Canale, L., and Chiqueti, C., "Influence of Agitation Rate on Residual Stresses and Distortion on Quenched AISI 5160 Steel," SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0148, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-36-0148.
- Penha, R.N. et al. Simulation of Heat Transfer and Residual Stresses from Cooling Curves Obtained in Quenching Studies Journal of ASTM International 3 5 2006
- Schüttenberg, S. et al. Controlling of distortion by means of quenching in adapted jet fields Mat. - wiss. U. Werkstoffech 36 2006
- Volkmuth, J. Influence of steel making and further processing on the distortion of bearing steel components 2006 Journal of ASTM International 3 3
- MacKenzie, D.S. et.al. Prediction of Distortion of Automotive Pinion Gears during Quenching Using CFD and FEA Journal of ASTM International 6 1 2009
- PAN, J. Factors affecting final part shaping Totten, G. E. Howes, M. Inoue, T. Handbook of Residual Stress and Deformation of Steel, Residual Stress during Hardening Processes Ohio ASM International, Materials Park 248 295 2002
- Totten, G. E Bates, C. E. Clinton, N. A. Handbook of quenchants and quenching technology ASM International Materials Park 1993
- Penha, R.N. Simulação da transferencia de calor e das tensões residuais térmicas obtidas em estudos de têmpera Dissertação (Mestrado) 126 Escola de Engenharia de São Carlos - Universidade de São Paulo 2006
- Kobasco, N. Regular thermal process and Kondratjev form factors. In: Intensive quenching systems : engineering and design, N.I. Kobasko et al. 91 105 2010
- Krupitskii, B. A. Ivanova, Z. M. Effect of quenching medium on distortion of holes in dies of steel kh 12 M 1970 Leningrad Mechanical Institute 57 58