This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Use of Computer Simulation for Development of a Four-Cylinder Race Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 04, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the development of an ethanol fueled high performance engine for drag racing. Through the use of a specific software (AVL Boost) it was possible to model and simulate the performance of the engine being developed. The initial parameters required for modeling and the geometry of the various engine components were obtained by direct measurements and data from the literature. Model validation was achieved by comparing simulation results with data found in literature. After that, various engine configurations had been simulated, changing design parameters in order to optimize engine performance. The analysis of simulation results enabled the selection of different components to be manufactured or purchased in order to achieve a high-performance engine for use in drag race competition, with improved torque and power.
Citationde Souza, D. and Martins, M., "The Use of Computer Simulation for Development of a Four-Cylinder Race Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0095, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-36-0095.
- CALVITI, C. M. A., “Estudo do processo de desenvolvimento de motores de combustão interna”, Master in Mechanical Engineering - Escola Politécnica da Universidade de São Paulo, São Paulo, 2008.
- Wirojsakunchai, E., Aroonsrisopon, T., Wannatong, K. and Akarapanjavit, N., “A Simulation Study of an Aftertreatment System Level Model for Diesel Dual Fuel (DDF) Engine Emission Control”, SAE paper 2009-01-1966, 2009.
- Heywood, J. B., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals”, McGraw-Hill, 1988.
- Ioannou, M., Gurney, D., Downing, J., “The application of design of experiments and 1-D simulation to create a rapid concept optimization tool for l4 engines”, SAE paper 2005-01-0226, 2005.
- Su, Y., Wang, Y., Tao, J., Li, L., and Xiao, M., “Effects of Intake Valve Closing Timing on Gasoline Peformance and Emissions”, SAE paper 2001-01-3564, 2001.
- Bell, A. G., “Performance tuning in theory and practice”, Sparkford: Haynes Publishing Group, 1981.
- AVL BOOST Theory Manual.
- Blair, G. P., “Design and Simulation of Four-Stroke Engines”, SAE Order no. R-161.
- Blair, G. P., Drouin, F. M., “The Relationship between Discharge Coefficients and the Accuracy of Engine”, SAE paper 962527, 1996.
- Patton, K.J., Nitschke, R. G., and Heywood, J. B., “Development and Evaluation of a Friction Model for Spark-Ignition Engines”, SAE paper 890836, 1989.
- Illien, M., Alten, H., “Demands on Formula One Engines and Subsequent Development Strategies”, SAE paper 2002-01-3359, 2002.
- Volkswagen, “Manual de Serviço do Motor AP 2000”.