This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Different Hydrous Ethanol-Gasoline Blends - FTIR Emissions of a Flex-Fuel Engine and Chemical Properties of the Fuels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 04, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In Brazilian market, Flex-Fuel vehicles represented over 85% of new light-duty vehicles sold in 2010. These vehicles can use gasoline blended with anhydrous ethanol (18 to 25% v/v), 100% of hydrous ethanol (contains from 6,2 to 7,4% w/w of water) or any blend of these fuels.
Some studies regarding Flex-Fuel technology are being made in Brazil, but there are not many published information about fuel properties of different ethanol-gasoline blends. Also, it is important to better understand emissions of aldehydes, unburned ethanol and total hydrocarbons of different ethanol blends on gasoline.
A Flex-Fuel engine, 1.4 l, 4 cylinders was tested on a dynamometer. A FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared analyzer) bench measured aldehydes, unburned ethanol and total hydrocarbons. It was used Gasoline with 25% of anhydrous ethanol was used as a reference fuel (E25). E25 was blended with different hydrous ethanol contents such as 30% (H30), 50% (H50), 80% (H80) and 100% (H100). To control the engine operation, a programmable ECU (Engine Control Unit) was used, allowing spark timing calibration either for maximum break torque (MBT) or to keep the engine below the knocking limit. Operating conditions included partial load with stoichiometric air-fuel ratio, for three different engine speed conditions. Test results were handled by the STATISTICA® software that calculated a 95% confidence interval for each operating condition. The main physical properties of the different blends were analyzed as part of this work, including H/C and O/C molar ratio, net heating value and others.
The emissions results presented a reduction trend for CO, NMHC and NOx, a trend of increase of aldehydes and unburned ethanol and no significant changes for CO2.
Citationde Melo, T., Machado, G., de Oliveira, E., Pereira Belchior, C. et al., "Different Hydrous Ethanol-Gasoline Blends - FTIR Emissions of a Flex-Fuel Engine and Chemical Properties of the Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0080, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-36-0080.
- MELO, T.C.C. COLNAGO, K. LOUREIRO, L.N. 2009 Implementation of Non Methane Organic Gases (NMOG) in Brazil XVII International Symposium of Automotive Engineering - SIMEA 2009
- MELO, T.C.C. et al “Experimental Investigation of Different Hydrous Ethanol - Gasoline Blends on a Flex Fuel Engine.” SAE Brazil Congress 2010-36-0469 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- AMORIM, R.J. BAÊTA, J.G.C. VALLE, R.M. et al. 2005a “Experimental Analysis of Flexible Fuel Systems in Spark Ignition Engine” SAE 2005 Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition, 2005-01-2183 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil May
- AMORIM, R.J. BAÊTA, J.G.C. VALLE, R.M. et al. 2005c “Analysis of an Otto cycle engine performance regarding alcohol concentration in gasoline and CNG usage” 18th International Congress of Mechanical Engineering Ouro Preto, MG, Brazil
- VICENTINI, P.C. KRONENBERGER, S. 2005 “Rating the performance of Brazilian flex fuel Vehicles” 2005 SAE Brazil Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition, 2005-01-2206 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil May
- BAÊTA, J. G. C. 2006 “Experimental Method for performance optimization of a multifuel engine keeping global efficiency” D. Sc. Thesis Mechanics Department, UFMG Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
- MELO, T.C.C. et al. 2007 “In Cylinder Pressure Curve Simulation On Multifuel Engines - a Comparison Between a Polytrophic and General Thermodynamic Model for Gasoline, Ethanol and Natural Gas” SAE- 2007-01-2820 8th International Conference on Engines for Automobile Italy 2007
- ANP 2005 resolução ANP número 06 de 24/02/2005 “Especificações para a gasolina automotiva utilizada como padrão para os ensaios de consumo de combustível e emissões veiculares”
- HEYWOOD 1988 “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” 1 New York, USA McGraw-Hill
- ABNT NBR 1585 1996 “Veículos rodoviários - código de ensaio de motores - potência líquida efetiva Associação Brasileira de Normas Técnicas Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
- MELO, T.C.C. ROCHA, J.R. et al. “Proposal of Aldehydes Measuring Methods for Light and Heavy Duty Diesel Vehicles” SAE 2010-36-0407 SAE BRASIL 2010 São Paulo
- Sandstroem-Dahl, C. Erlandsson, L. Gasste, J. Lindgren, M. “Measurement Methodologies for Hydrocarbons, Ethanol and Aldehyde Emissions from Ethanol Fuelled Vehicles,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 453 466 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1557
- WALLNER, T FRAZEE, R. et al. 2010 “Study of Regulated and Non-regulated Emissions from Combustion of Gasoline, Alcohol Fuels and Their Blends in a DI-SI Engine” SAE FUEL & LUBRICANTS - SAE 2010-01-1571 Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
- POMALESKI, D.R.M. CONTI, E.W. et al “Emissão de Compostos Orgânicos por Veículos Flex Fuel de Acordo com Diferentes Regulamentações.”
- VAN BASSHUYSEN et al. 2002 “Internal combustion handbook” SAE International USA
- AL-FARAYEDMI et al. 2004 Experimental Investigation of SI Engine Performance Using Oxygenated Fuel American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Internal Combustion Engine Division ICE 38 7 18
- CALADO et al. 2003 “Design of experiments using Statistica” E-papers Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- MONTGOMERY et al. Applied Statistics and Probability for Engineers John Wiley & Sons 1994
- DRAPPER et al. “Applied Regression Analysis' John Wisley & Sons 3rd USA 1998
- DA SILVA, A.H.M.F. 2010 “Failure Criteria for Bonded Joints under Combined Load ” Fluminense Federal University (UFF) Mechanical Engineer Pos graduation Program (PGMEC) Phd thesis
- LEE, T.W. “Thermal flow Measurement” April 2008 Arizona State University, CRC press
- VILLELA, A. C. S. CARVALHO 2009 “Fuel Consumption Technical and Economical Study for Flexible Fuel Vehicles” SAE - 2009-36-0102 SAE BRASIL 2009
- Orbital Engine Company A Literature Review Based Assessment on the Impacts of a 10% and 20% Ethanol Gasoline Fuel Blend on Non-Automotive Engines Report to Environment Australia 2002