This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New Developments in Fuel Injector Atomizer Layouts for Port Fuel Injection Applications to Meet PL6 and ULEV Requirements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 04, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents the background research on the physics of the droplet coalescence phenomena carried out by an interactive usage of high-level 3-D numerical simulation tools and high-level optical visualization and measurement techniques.
The presentation continues with the description of a new injector atomizer plate layout, which enables a physical coalescence control of the droplet population within the entire fuel spray.
Finally are presented examples of the impact on exhaust emissions of the introduction the new atomizer plate with coalescence control by engine test bed experiments (steady state low load conditions) and vehicle tests (first cold part of the FTP-cycle).
CitationPontoppidan, M. and Montanari, G., "New Developments in Fuel Injector Atomizer Layouts for Port Fuel Injection Applications to Meet PL6 and ULEV Requirements," SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0058, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-36-0058.
- Bayvel, L Orzechowski, Z. “Liquid Atomization” Taylor and Francis USA 1993
- Dantec Dynamics A/S “BSA Flow Software Manual - Installation and User's Guide.” Publication 9040U5734 2006
- Pontoppidan, M. “Combined use of 3D-CFD Simulation and direct Visualization Techniques to decrease the Optimization Procedure Complexity of Combustion chamber Layout and Engine Control Pre-mapping operation necessary for Online Engine Test rig Optimization.” Internationales Symposium für Verbrennungsdiagnostik 2002 Baden-Baden 137 147
- Pontoppidan, M. Gaviani, G. Bella, G. Demaio, A. “Optimization by CFD simulation of Spray formation Parameters to adapt Direct Injection high-pressure Fuel injectors to high-speed SI-engines.” SAE paper 2004-01-0539
- Pontoppidan, M. Bonfiglioli, S. Montanari, G Damasceno, F. “Mixture Preparation Optimization by CFD of a Flex-Vehicle (gasoline/ethanol) Intake System Layout.” SAE paper 2004-36-0118
- Pontoppidan, M. Bonfiglioli, S. Montanari, G. “Presentation of the new third Generation “Green” injector Family, PICO-ECOlogical, developed for further Improvement of Flex-fuel Engine Performance.” SAE-Brazil paper 2007-01-2749
- Pontoppidan, M. Bonfiglioli, S. Montanari, G. “Analysis of the Capabilities of the new innovative Ethanol Low-Temperature Mixture Preparation Device ECS.” SAE-Brazil paper 2008-36-0080
- Pontoppidan, M. Montanari, G. Damasceno, F. “Analysis of the Physical Boundary Conditions for the Layout of an optimized Ethanol Low-Temperature Mixture Preparation Device” SAE paper 2009-01-0618
- Pontoppidan, M. Montanari, G. “New developments of the 3 rd generation SFS-Flex system to meet PL5/6 emission requirements.” SAE-Brazil paper 2009-36-0159
- Pontoppidan, M. Montanari, G. “Introduction of Virtual Spray Vessel (VSV) simulation approach to improve the optimization level of mass-produced 3 rd generation fuel injectors for SFS-Flex fuel systems.” SAE-Brazil paper 2010-36-0137
- Pontoppidan, M. Montanari, G. “New innovative simulation tool, the Virtual Spray Vessel (VSV), to improve the characterization and spray stability of mass produced fuel injectors.” SAE paper 2011-01-0380