This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Diffusion Behavior of Evaporative Fuel Gas from Gasoline Carbon Canister in Consideration of Temperature-Dependence
Published November 08, 2011 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
It is important to quantify the diffusion behavior of evaporative fuel gas in order to control evaporative emission from carbon canister. Especially, it is necessary to take the changes in adsorption-desorption amount and diffusion coefficients by air temperature into account to design carbon canister satisfying various conditions of air. In this study, we estimated diffusion coefficients in carbon canister for the binary system of butane and nitrogen and examined temperature-dependence of diffusion coefficients. The temperature dependence of diffusion coefficients was not clearly observed. Diffusion coefficient of gas phase increased as the temperature was higher. Amount of desorption decreased as the temperature was raised by contraries. Those effects made the complex temperature dependence of the diffusion coefficient. They caused the density increment and the flow caused by pressure simultaneously.
CitationKuronuma, H., Masuda, S., Kobayashi, N., Sato, K. et al., "Study on Diffusion Behavior of Evaporative Fuel Gas from Gasoline Carbon Canister in Consideration of Temperature-Dependence," SAE Technical Paper 2011-32-0532, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-32-0532.
- JSAE “Automotive technological Handbook, 2 Environments and safety” JSAE 7 12 2005
- Itakura, H. Kato, N. Kohama, T. Hyoudou, Y. Murai, T. “Studies on Carbon Canisters to Satisfy LEVII EVAPR egulations” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-0895
- Yamasaki, K. Sato, K. Suzuki, T. Kobayashi, N. Tanaka, H. Endo, H. “Analysis of the Butane Diffusion in Activated Carbon Canister,” SAE Int. J.Fuels Lubr. 2 1 455 461 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0976
- Cussler, E. L. “Diffusion, mass transfer in fluid systems second ed.” Cambridge University Press
- Shimizu, H. “Adsorption Technology Handbook” NTS Co., Ltd. 13 35 1997