This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design, Fabrication and Stress Analysis of a Composite Propeller Shaft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2011 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Fuel efficiency and weight of passenger cars are two important issues. Best way to increase the fuel efficiency without sacrificing safety is to employ fiber reinforced composite materials in vehicle components. Substituting composite structures for conventional metallic structures has advantages because of higher specific stiffness and strength of composite materials. Weight of composite drive shaft is less compared to conventional steel shaft. This work deals with the replacement of Maruti Omni 5 seater vehicle's conventional steel drive shaft with an E-Glass/Epoxy composite drive shaft. The design parameters were used with the objective of minimizing the weight of composite propeller shaft and the shaft is analysed using ANSYS 11. After the confirmation, that the design meets all requirements, the composite shaft is fabricated. Fabricated composite propeller shaft was then subjected to bending, torsion and fatigue test to find its performance.
CitationUmmuhaani, A. and Sadagopan, P., "Design, Fabrication and Stress Analysis of a Composite Propeller Shaft," SAE Technical Paper 2011-28-0013, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-28-0013.
- “POLYMER MATRIX COMPOSITES IN DRIVELINE APPLICATIONS” Pollard, A 1989 Journal of composite structures 25
- FIBER REINFORCED COMPOSITES Mallick, P.K. 1999 Materials, Manufacturing and Design
- “COMPOSITE MATERIALS : Engineering and science” Mathews, F.L. Rawlings, R.D. 1999
- “OPTIMAL SIZING AND STACKING SEQUENCE OF COMPOSITE DRIVE SHAFTS” Rangasamy, Thimmegowda Sabapathy Vijayaragavan, Department of Mechanical Engineering, PSG College of Technology Coimbatore
- DESIGN OF MACHINE ELEMENTS Vijayaraghavan, G.K.
- “THE POTENTIAL FOR COMPOSITES IN STRUCTURAL AUTOMOTIVE APPLICATIONS” Beardmore, P. Johnson, C.F Journal of Composites Science and Technology 26 1986 251 281 September 3 2005
- PSG design data book
- “TWO CASES OF FAILURE IN THE POWER TRANSMISSION SYSTEM ON VEHICLES” A universal joint yoke and a drive shaft Bayrakceken, H. Tasgetiren, S. Afyon, I. Yavuz Kocatepe University, Technical Education Faculty Afyon 03200, Turkey
- “OPTIMAL DESIGN AND ANALYSIS OF AUTOMOTIVE COMPOSITE DRIVE SHAFT” Rangaswamy, T. Vijayarangan, S. Chandrashekar, R.A. Venkatesh, T.K. Anantharaman, K. Dept. of Mech. Engineering, PSG College of Technology Coimbatore 641004, India
- DESIGN ANALYSIS OF AN AUTOMOTIVE COMPOSITE DRIVE SHAFT” Chowdhuri, M.A.K. Hossain, R.A.