This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation Based Approach for Optimization of Intake Manifold
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 19, 2011 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2011
Change is only thing which is permanent in today's world. In a highly volatile market, one can only survive by being fast, flexible and first mover. This requires analyzing market situation, conceiving new models and developing them in the minimum possible time. Simulation is a very powerful tool for squeezing model development cycle. It significantly reduces time required for optimization and also gives the designer flexibility of going for wide variety of design options, which is not feasible otherwise through experimentation. Simulation also helps in detailed understanding of the physical phenomenon of the respective system.
Detailed Analysis was done using 1-D CFD code to optimize various parameters of the Intake Manifold at the initial design stage. Detailed virtual DOE was done to achieve the required level of engine performance. The numbers of concepts were limited for final engine bench testing resulting in reduction of the testing time. Strong co-relation was achieved between the simulation and actual testing data.
Separate simulation was carried out for capturing the 3D effects of intake manifold geometry on 3D CFD code using standard boundary conditions.
For further fine tuning 1D and 3D CFD codes were coupled to enable better optimization of the intake manifold geometry. This also led to better prediction of the engine performance.
This paper describes the effective use of advanced simulation tools for design optimization of intake manifold.
|Technical Paper||Development of IMEP Analysis for Transient Data|
|Technical Paper||Rapid CFD Simulation of Internal Combustion Engines|
|Technical Paper||Simulation of Pulsating Flow Unsteady Operation of a Turbocharger Radial Turbine|
CitationPai, D., Singh, H., and Muhammed, P., "Simulation Based Approach for Optimization of Intake Manifold," SAE Technical Paper 2011-26-0074, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-26-0074.
- Wolgemuth, Carl H and Alson, Donald R., “Study of Engine Breathing Charecteristics”, Pensylvania State University. SAE Paper No. 650448, 1965
- Royo, Rafel, Corberan, Jose and Perez, Antonio, “Optimal Design of the Intake System”, Universidad Politechnica de Valencia. SAE Paper No. 940210, 1994
- Silvestri, John J, Thomas and Costallo, Michael, “Study of Intake System wave Dynamics and Accoustics by Simulation and Experiment”. SAE Paper No. 940206, 1994
- Haywood, John B, “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals”. McGRAW HILL INTERNATIONAL EDITIONS Automotive Technology Series
- GT-Power, user's manual and tutorial, GT-SUITETM Version 6.0, March 2003, Gamma Technologies