This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermo-Structural Analysis of a New Engine Cylinder Head
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An engine head for microcar applications has been analysed and optimized by means of uncoupled CFD and FEM simulations in order to assess the strength of the component. This paper deals with a structural stress analysis of the cylinder head considering the thermal loads computed through an uncoupled CFD simulations of cylinder combustion and in cooling flow passages. The FE model includes the contact interaction between the main parts of the cylinder head assembly and it also considers the effects of bolts tightening and valve springs. Temperature dependent non-linear material properties are considered. The results, in term of temperature field, are validated by comparing with those obtained by means of experimental analyses; the engine has been instrumented with thermocouples on crank case and on cylinder head.
CitationArnone, L., Bella, G., Vivio, F., and Vullo, V., "Thermo-Structural Analysis of a New Engine Cylinder Head," SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0165, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-24-0165.
- Hartmann, G. Sturm, J. “Integrated Numerical Optimization of Highly Loaded Aluminum Cylinder Heads,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3429 2002 10.4271/2002-01-3429
- Tichánek, R. Španiel, M. Diviš, M. Structural Stress Analysis of an Engine Cylinder Head Acta Polytechnica 45 3 43 48 2005
- Mendes, A. Cardoso, A. “Structural Analysis of the Aluminum Cylinder Head for a High-Speed Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2562 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2562
- Jinlong, M. Shixiong, L. Structure Analysis of the Nose Bridge of the Engine Cylinder Head Tractors and Power Machines 11 2 52 57 2006
- Garro, A. Vullo, V. “Some Considerations on the Evaluation of Thermal Stress in Combustion Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 780664 1978 10.4271/780664
- Shojaefard, M.H. Ghaffarpour, M.R. Noorpoor, A.R. Alizadehnia, S. Thermomechanical Analysis of an Engine Cylinder Head Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 20 627 636 2006
- Garro, A. “Progettazione Strutturale del Motore” Levrotto & Bella Torino 1992
- Moyroud, F. Cosme, N. Jocker, M. ⊓Fransson, T.H. Lornage, D. Jacquet-Richardet, G. A Fluid-Structure Interfacing Technique for Computational Aeroelastic Simulations 9th International Symposium on Unsteady Aerodynamics Aeroacoustics and Aeroelasticity of Turbomachines Lyon, France 2000