This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Injury Criteria for the Prediction of Commotio Cordis from Lacrosse Ball Impacts
Published November 07, 2011 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Commotio Cordis (CC) is the second leading cause of mortality in youth sports. Impacts occurring directly over the left ventricle (LV) during a vulnerable period of the cardiac cycle can cause ventricular fibrillation (VF), which results in CC. In order to better understand the pathophysiology of CC, and develop a mechanical model for CC, appropriate injury criteria need to be developed. This effort consisted of impacts to seventeen juvenile porcine specimens (mass 21-45 kg). Impacts were delivered over the cardiac silhouette during the venerable period of the cardiac cycle. Four impact speeds were used: 13.4, 17.9, 22.4, and 26.8 m/s. The impactor was a lacrosse ball on an aluminum shaft instrumented with an accelerometer (mass 188 g - 215 g). The impacts were recorded using high-speed video. LV pressure was measured with a catheter. Univariate binary logistic regression analyses were performed to evaluate the predictive ability of ten injury criteria. A total of 187 impacts were used in the analysis. The criteria were evaluated on their predictive ability based on Somers' D (D) and Goodman-Kruskal gamma (γ). Injury risk functions were created for all criteria using a 2-parameter Weibull distribution using survival analysis. The best criteria for predicting CC were impact force (D=0.52, and γ=0.52) force* compression (D=0.49, and γ=0.49), and impact power (D=0.49, and γ=0.49). All of these criteria proved significant in predicting the probability of CC from projectile impacts in youth sports (p≺0.01). Force proved to be the most predictive of the ten criteria evaluated.
|Technical Paper||Potential Improvements to Impact Responses of the Flexible Legform Impactor|
|Technical Paper||Advanced Processing Techniques for Expanded Polypropylene Foam|
|Technical Paper||Patterns of Automobile Crash Damage|
CitationDau, N., Cavanaugh, J., Bir, C., and Link, M., "Evaluation of Injury Criteria for the Prediction of Commotio Cordis from Lacrosse Ball Impacts," SAE Technical Paper 2011-22-0010, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-22-0010.
- Aliyev, F., Kilickesmez, K. O., Uzunhasan, I., Celiker, C. and Turkoglu, C. (2009) Commotio cordis presenting as complete atrioventricular block in a young adult with pre-existing LBBB and prolonged HV interval. Resuscitation 80(8): 965-966.
- Alsheikh-Ali, A. A., Akelman, C., Madias, C. and Link, M. S. (2008) Endocardial mapping of ventricular fibrillation in commotio cordis. Heart Rhythm 5(9): 1355-1356.
- Bir, C. A. and Viano, D. C. (1999) Biomechanical predictor of commotio cordis in high-speed chest impact. J Trauma 47(3): 468-473.
- Bode, F., Franz, M. R., Wilke, I., Bonnemeier, H., Schunkert, H. and Wiegand, U. K. (2006) Ventricular fibrillation induced by stretch pulse: implications for sudden death due to commotio cordis. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 17(9): 1011-1017.
- Chen, R. L., Penny, D. J., Greve, G. and Lab, M. J. (2004) Stretch-induced regional mechanoelectric dispersion and arrhythmia in the right ventricle of anesthetized lambs. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 286(3): H1008-1014.
- Doerer, J. J., Haas, T. S., Estes, N. A.3rd, Link, M. S. and Maron, B. J. (2007) Evaluation of chest barriers for protection against sudden death due to commotio cordis. Am J Cardiol 99(6): 857-859.
- Drewniak, E. I., Spenciner, D. B. and Crisco, J. J. (2007) Mechanical properties of chest protectors and the likelihood of ventricular fibrillation due to commotio cordis. J Appl Biomech 23(4): 282-288.
- Garan, A. R., Maron, B. J., Wang, P. J., Estes, N. A.3rd and Link, M. S. (2005) Role of streptomycin-sensitive stretch-activated channel in chest wall impact induced sudden death (commotio cordis). J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 16(4): 433-438.
- Garny, A. and Kohl, P. (2004) Mechanical induction of arrhythmias during ventricular repolarization: modeling cellular mechanisms and their interaction in two dimensions. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1015: 133-143.
- Geddes, L. A. and Roeder, R. A. (2005) Evolution of our knowledge of sudden death due to commotio cordis. Am J Emerg Med 23(1): 67-75.
- Janda, D. H., Bir, C. A., Viano, D. C. and Cassatta, S. J. (1998) Blunt chest impacts: assessing the relative risk of fatal cardiac injury from various baseballs. J Trauma 44(2): 298-303.
- Kent, R. and Funk, J. (2004) Data Censoring and Parametric Distribution Assignment in the Development of Injury Risk Functions from Biomechanical Data. SAE 2004-01-0317(SP-1872).
- Kent, R., Salzar, R., Kerrigan, J., Parent, D., Lessley, D., Sochor, M., Luck, J. F., Loyd, A., Song, Y., Nightingale, R., Bass, C. R. and Maltese, M. R. (2009) Pediatric thoracoabdominal biomechanics. Stapp Car Crash J 53: 373-401.
- Kent, R., Stacey, S., Kindig, M., Forman, J., Woods, W., Rouhana, S. W., Higuchi, K., Tanji, H., Lawrence, S. S. and Arbogast, K. B. (2006) Biomechanical response of the pediatric abdomen, part 1: development of an experimental model and quantification of structural response to dynamic belt loading. Stapp Car Crash J 50: 1-26.
- Kohl, P., Nesbitt, A. D., Cooper, P. J. and Lei, M. (2001) Sudden cardiac death by Commotio cordis: role of mechano-electric feedback. Cardiovasc Res 50(2): 280-289.
- Kroell, C., Allen, S., Warner, C. and Perl, T. (1986) Interrelationship of velocity and chest compression in blunt thoracic impact to swine II. 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference. SAE. San Diego, CA.
- Li, W., Kohl, P. and Trayanova, N. (2004) Induction of ventricular arrhythmias following mechanical impact: a simulation study in 3D. J Mol Histol 35(7): 679-686.
- Link, M. S. (2003) Mechanically induced sudden death in chest wall impact (commotio cordis). Prog Biophys Mol Biol 82(1-3): 175-186.
- Link, M. S. (2006) Unraveling the mystery of commotio cordis. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 17(9): 1018-1019.
- Link, M. S. and Estes, N. A.3rd (2007) Mechanically induced ventricular fibrillation (commotio cordis). Heart Rhythm 4(4): 529-532.
- Link, M. S. and Maron, B. J. (2005) Sudden cardiac death caused by innocent chest wall blows. Ital Heart J 6(4): 281-283.
- Link, M. S., Maron, B. J., Stickney, R. E., Vanderbrink, B. A., Z. W., Pandian, N. G., Wang, P. J. and E. N. A. M.III (2002) Automated Exsternal Defibrillator Arrhythmia Detection in a Model of Cariac Arrest due to Commotio Cordis. Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology 14: 83-87.
- Link, M. S., Maron, B. J., VanderBrink, B. A., Takeuchi, M., Pandian, N. G., Wang, P. J. and Estes, N. A.3rd (2001) Impact directly over the cardiac silhouette is necessary to produce ventricular fibrillation in an experimental model of commotio cordis. J Am Coll Cardiol 37(2): 649-654.
- Link, M. S., Maron, B. J., Wang, P. J., Pandian, N. G., VanderBrink, B. A. and Estes, N. A.3rd (2002) Reduced risk of sudden death from chest wall blows (commotio cordis) with safety baseballs. Pediatrics 109(5): 873-877.
- Link, M. S., Maron, B. J., Wang, P. J., VanderBrink, B. A., Zhu, W. and Estes, N. A.3rd (2003) Upper and lower limits of vulnerability to sudden arrhythmic death with chest-wall impact (commotio cordis). J Am Coll Cardiol 41(1): 99-104.
- Link, M. S., Wang, P. J., Pandian, N. G., Bharati, S., Udelson, J. E., Lee, M. Y., Vecchiotti, M. A., VanderBrink, B. A., Mirra, G., Maron, B. J. and Estes, N. A.3rd (1998) An experimental model of sudden death due to low-energy chest-wall impact (commotio cordis). N Engl J Med 338(25): 1805-1811.
- Link, M. S., Wang, P. J., VanderBrink, B. A., Avelar, E., Pandian, N. G., Maron, B. J. and Estes, N. A.3rd (1999) Selective activation of the K(+)(ATP) channel is a mechanism by which sudden death is produced by low-energy chest-wall impact (Commotio cordis). Circulation 100(4): 413-418.
- Madias, C., Maron, B. J., Alsheikh-Ali, A. A., Estes Iii, N. A. and Link, M. S. (2007) Commotio cordis. Indian Pacing Electrophysiol J 7(4): 235-245.
- Madias, C., Maron, B. J., Alsheikh-Ali, A. A., Rajab, M., Estes, N. A.3rd and Link, M. S. (2009) Precordial thump for cardiac arrest is effective for asystole but not for ventricular fibrillation. Heart Rhythm 6(10): 1495-1500.
- Madias, C., Maron, B. J., Supron, S., Estes, N. A.3rd and Link, M. S. (2008) Cell membrane stretch and chest blow-induced ventricular fibrillation: commotio cordis. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 19(12): 1304-1309.
- Madias, C., Maron, B. J., Weinstock, J., Estes, N. A.3rd and Link, M. S. (2007) Commotio cordis-sudden cardiac death with chest wall impact. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 18(1): 115-122.
- Maron, B. J., Doerer, J. J., Haas, T. S., Estes, N. A., Hodges, J. S. and Link, M. S. (2009) Commotio Cordis and the Epidemiology of Sudden Death in Competitive Lacrosse. Pediatrics 124: 966-971.
- Maron, B. J. and Estes, N. A.3rd (2010) Commotio cordis. N Engl J Med 362(10): 917-927.
- Maron, B. J., Gohman, T. E., Kyle, S. B., Estes, N. A.3rd and Link, M. S. (2002) Clinical profile and spectrum of commotio cordis. Jama 287(9): 1142-1146.
- Maron, B. J., Wentzel, D. C., Zenovich, A. G., Estes, N. A.3rd and Link, M. S. (2005) Death in a young athlete due to commotio cordis despite prompt external defibrillation. Heart Rhythm 2(9): 991-993.
- Nesbitt, A. D., Cooper, P. J. and Kohl, P. (2001) Rediscovering commotio cordis. Lancet 357(9263): 1195-1197.