This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Rib Fracture Mechanisms Based on the Rib Strain Profiles in Side and Forward Oblique Impact
Published November 07, 2011 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Rib fractures constitute a good indication of severity as there are the most frequent type of AIS3+ chest injuries. In 2008, Trosseille et al. showed a promising methodology to exhibit the rib fracture mechanisms, using strain gauges glued on the ribs of Post-Mortem Human Subjects (PMHS) and developing a specific signal analysis. In 2009, they published the results of static airbag tests performed on 50th percentile male PMHS at different distances and angles (pure lateral and 30 degrees forward oblique direction).
To complete these already published data, a set of 8 PMHS lateral and oblique impactor tests were performed with the same methodology. The rib cages were instrumented with more than 100 strain gauges on the ribs, cartilage and sternum. A 23.4 kg impactor was propelled at 4.3 or 6.7 m/s. The forces applied onto the PMHS at 4.3 m/s ranged from 1.6 kN to 1.9 kN and the injuries varied from 4 to 13 rib fractures. At 6.7 m/s, the forces applied onto the PMHS ranged from 2.6 kN to 4 kN and the injuries varied from 9 to 16 rib fractures.
The results of 24 tests from Trosseille et al. 2008 and 2009 and from the current study were processed in the same way and analyzed together. The time and location of the fractures were determined for each test and a ribcage fracture scenario was defined for each configuration. Strain profile corridors were built for pure lateral and forward oblique impacts, in the case of a rigid impact (impactor) or for an airbag loading. They can be used to assess the human body model biofidelity and the validation of rib fracture mechanisms in these models. Based on these corridors, the effects of the severity, the impact angle and the loading system on rib strain profiles were analyzed and are presented in this paper.
CitationLeport, T., Baudrit, P., Potier, P., Trosseille, X. et al., "Study of Rib Fracture Mechanisms Based on the Rib Strain Profiles in Side and Forward Oblique Impact," SAE Technical Paper 2011-22-0009, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-22-0009.
- Charpail, E. Trosseille, X. Petit, P. Laporte, S. Lavaste, F. Vallancien, G. 2005 Characterization of PMHS ribs: a new test methodology Stapp Car Crash Journal 49 183 198
- ISO/TR9790-3 1988 Road Vehicles - Anthropomorphic Side Impact Dummy - Lateral Thoracic Impact Response Requirements to Assess the Biofidelity of the Dummy International Standards Organization, American National Standards Institute NY, NY
- Kemper, A.R. McNally, C. Kennedy, E.A. Manoogian, S. J. Rath, A.L. NG, T.P. Stitzel, J.D. Smith, E.P. Duma, S.M. Matsuoka, F. 2005 Material Properties of Human Rib Cortical Bone from Dynamic Tension Coupon Testing Stapp Car Crash Journal 49 199 230
- Kemper, A.R. McNally, C. Pullins, C. Freeman, L. Duma, S. Rouhana, S. 2007 Material and Structural Properties from Dynamic Tension and Bending Tests Stapp Car Crash Journal 51 265 273
- Kent, R. Lesseley, D. Sherwood, C. 2004 Thoracic Response to Dynamic, Non-Impact Loading from a Hub, Distributed Belt, Diagonal Belt, and Double Diagonal Belts Stapp Car Crash Journal 48 495 519
- Kroell, C. Schneider, D. Nahum, A. 1971 Impact Tolerance Of The Human Thorax I Proccedings of the 15 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 84 134
- Kroell, C. Schneider, D. Nahum, A. 1974 Impact Tolerance Of The Human Thorax II Proceedings of the 18 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 363 413
- Lebarbé, M. Potier, P. Baudrit, P. Petit, P. Trosseille, X. Vallancien, G. 2005 Thoracic Injury Investigation Using PMHS in Frontal Airbag Out-of-Position Situations Stapp Car Crash Journal 49 323 342
- Petit, P. Trosseille, X. Baudrit, P. Gopal, M. 2003 Finite element simulation study of a frontal driver airbag deployment for out-of-position situations Stapp Car Crash Journal 47 211 241
- Potier, P. 2010 Thesis Methodologic contribution to Thanatomechanics and Thanatometrology University of Valenciennes and Hainaut-Cambrésis
- Shaw, J.M. Herriott, R.G. McFadden, J.D. Donnelly, B.R. Bolte, J.H. 2006 Oblique and Lateral Impact Response of the PMHS Thorax Stapp Car Crash Journal 50 147 167
- Song, E. Trosseille, X. Baudrit, P. 2009 Evaluation of Thoracic Deflection as an Injury Criterion for Side Impact Using a Finite Elements Thorax Model Stapp Car Crash Journal 53 155 191
- Trosseille, X. Baudrit, P. Leport, T. Vallancien, G. 2008 Rib Cage Strain Pattern as a Function of Chest Loading Configuration Stapp Car Crash Journal 52 205 231
- Trosseille, X. Baudrit, P. Leport, T. Petijean, A. Potier, P. Vallancien, G. 2009 The Effect of Angle on the Chest Injury Outcome in Side Loading Stapp Car Crash Journal 53 403 419
- Viano, D.C. 1989 Biomechanical responses and injuries in blunt lateral impact Proceedings of the 33 rd Stapp Car Crash Conference Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA