This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Force Controlled Assembly of a Compliant Rib
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 18, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automation in aerospace industry is often in the form of dedicated solutions and focused on processes like drilling, riveting etc. The common industrial robot has due to limitations in positional accuracy and stiffness often been unsuitable for aerospace manufacturing. One major cost driver in aircraft manufacturing is manual assembly and the bespoke tooling needed. Assembly tasks frequently involve setting relations between parts rather than a global need for accuracy. This makes assembly a suitable process for the use of force control. With force control a robot equipped with needed software and hardware, searches for desired force rather than for a position. To test the usefulness of force control for aircraft assembly an experimental case aligning a compliant rib to multiple surfaces was designed and executed. The system used consisted of a standard ABB robot and an open controller and the assembly sequence was made up of several steps in order to achieve final position. The result shows that the process is robust and repetitive and has the potential to reduce the need for bespoke jigs and fixtures.
CitationJonsson, M., Stolt, A., Robertsson, A., Murray, T. et al., "Force Controlled Assembly of a Compliant Rib," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2734, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2734.
- Jayaweera, N. Webb, P. Adaptive robotic assembly of compliant aero-structure components Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing 23 180 194 2007
- Jayaweera, N. Webb, P. Johnson, C. Measurement assisted robotic assembly of fabricated aero-engine components Assembly Automation 30 56 65 2010
- Olsson, T. Haage, M. Kihlman, H. Johansson, R. Nilsson, K. Robertsson, A. Björkman, M. Isaksson, R. Ossbahr, G. Brogårdh, T. Cost-efficient drilling using industrial robots with high-bandwidth force feedback Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing 26 24 38 2010
- De Schutter, J. De Laet, T. Rutgeerts, J. Decré, W. Smits, R. Aertbeliën, E. Claes, K. Bruyninckx, H. Constraint-based task specification and estimation for sensor-based robot systems in the presence of geometric uncertainty International Journal of Robotics Research 26 433 455 2007
- Stolt, A. Linderoth, M. Robertsson, A. Jonsson, M. Murray, M. Force Controlled Assembly of Flexible Aircraft Structure Poceedings of the 2011 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2011) Shanghai, China 2001