This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advanced Control Strategy for Solid State Power Controllers (SSPC)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 18, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
There is a clear trend to increase the use of electrical systems in aircrafts, leading to a growing demand for electrical power in the aircraft. This increasing power consumption has resulted in increasing DC voltage levels, to reduce energy losses and the size of wiring, as a result of the reduced current levels. However, traditional protections such as circuit breakers are not adequate for the protection of the new systems in high DC voltage, and consequently it is necessary to introduce new technologies in the field of protection devices. One of these is the Solid State Power Controller (SSPC), which combines the functions of connecting loads to the busbars and protecting electrical installations against overload and short circuits.
On the other hand, within these electrical systems, the connection of certain loads, such as very capacitive ones, implies the need to develop new control strategies to improve the connection process by SSPCs. This paper presents and analyzes a new advanced control strategy that optimizes the connection of very capacitive loads using SSPCs.
|Technical Paper||Advanced Aircraft Electrical Power Management-Maximizing Utility Function Integration with Solid State Power Control|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Vehicle System Voltage—Initial Recommendations|
CitationIzquierdo Gil, D., Barrado, A., Fernandez, C., Sanz, M. et al., "Advanced Control Strategy for Solid State Power Controllers (SSPC)," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2622, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2622.
- Rosero, J. A. Ortega, J. A. Aldabas, E. Romeral, L. “Moving Towards a More Electric Aircraft” Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, IEEE 22 3 March 2007
- Kankam, M. D. “A Survey of Power Electronics Applications in Aerospace Technologies” 36th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference the ASME, IEEE, AIChE, ANS, SAE, and AIAA Savannah, Georgia 2001
- Izquierdo, D. Barrado, A. Raga, C. Sanz, M. Zumel, P. Lázaro, A. “Protection devices for aircraft electrical power distribution systems: a Survey” Aerospace and Electronic Systems, IEEE Transactions on July 2011 47 3 1538 1550 0018-9251
- Friedman, S. N. “Solid-state Power Controller for the Next Generation” Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, IEEE 7 9 September 1992 24 29
- Mussmacher, K. A. P.E. Froeb, W. L. “SSPC Handle Heavy Loads With Fold-back Current Limiting” National Hybrid Inc. Ronkonkoma, N.Y. Power Electronics Technology January 2003
- Simon, J. J. “State of the Art in Solid State Power Controller for Aeronautical Application” The European Power Electronics Association September 1993 121 126