This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Extended Non-Destructive Testing of Composite Bonds
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 18, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Composite materials are increasingly being used in the manufacturing of structural components in aeronautics industry. A consequent light-weight design of CFRP primary structures requires adhesive bonding as the optimum joining technique but is limited due to a lack of adequate quality assurance procedures. The successful implementation of a reliable quality assurance concept for adhesive bonding within manufacturing and in-service environments will provide the basis for increased use of lightweight composite materials for highly integrated aircraft structures thus minimizing rivet-based assembly. The expected weight saving for the fuselage airframe is remarkable and therefore the driver for research and development of key-enabling technologies.
The performance of adhesive bonds mainly depends on the physico-chemical properties of adherend surfaces. Therefore, a set of advanced non-destructive testing techniques is applied and adapted to the characterization of CFRP bonded structures as well as the state of adherend surfaces before bonding within the ENCOMB-project. As a medium-scale European Consortium funded within the 7th Framework Programme, ENCOMB (Extended Non-Destructive Testing of Composite Bonds) brings together leading experts in aeronautics research and development providing advanced non-destructive testing methods for reliable quality assurance of adhesive bonds of CFRP structural components. In the following results of two promising measuring techniques both from the field of characterization of adhesive bonds and adherend surface characterization are presented. It is expected that these technologies will have a major contribution to the quality assurance of adhesive bonding in the future.
|Technical Paper||Evaluation of Strength of Adhesively Bonded Metallic Single Lap Joint with Different End Geometries|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Lap Shear Test for Automotive-Type Adhesives for Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP) Bonding|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Fiberboard Test Procedure|
CitationMarkus, S., Tornow, C., Dieckhoff, S., Boustie, M. et al., "Extended Non-Destructive Testing of Composite Bonds," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2514, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2514.
- Davis, G. D., Contamination of Surfaces: Origin, Detection and Effect on Adhesion, Surface and Interface Analysis, 20, 368-372, (1993)
- Parker, B. M., Waghorne, R., Testing Epoxy Composite Surfaces for Bondability, Surf. Interf. Anal., 17, 471ff, (1991)
- Markus, S. et al., Quality Monitoring of CFRP Surfaces in Bonding and Coating Processes, European Coatings, 7, 7ff, (2007)
- Pearson, Lee H.; Diffuse reflectance IR spectroscopy for bonding surface contamination, Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation Vol. 10A, New York, (1991)
- Markus, S. et al., Detection of Contaminants on Polymer Surfaces Using Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS), Polymer Surface Modification: Relevance to Adhesion, Mittal, K. L. (Ed.), (4), Utrecht: VSP, (2007)
- Staszewski, W. J. et al., Fatigue crack detection in metallic structures with Lamb waves and 3D laser Vibrometry, Meas. Sci. Technol. 18, 727-739, (2007)
- Wilken, R. et al., EP 1893974 B1 Method and Device for Testing a Surface Quality, FhG zur Förderung der angewandten Forschung e.V. (date of publication: 2009-04-15)
- Kronenberg, P. et al., Relative humidity sensor using optical fiber Bragg gratings, Optics Letters 27, 1385, (2002)
- Karalekas, D., Cugnoni, J., and Botsis, J., Monitoring of hygrothermal ageing effects in an epoxy resin using FBG sensor: A methodological study,” Composites Science and Technology 69, 507-514, (2009)
- Bois, C. and Hochard, C., Monitoring of Laminated Composites Delamination Based on Electromechanical Impedance Measurement, J. Intel. Mat. Syst. Str. 15. pages 59-67, (2004)
- Walle, G., et al., A thermal NDT technique for surface crack testing in conductive materials, Materials Testing, 9, (2009)
- Aglan, H. et al., Cumulative fatigue disbond of adhesive joints and its detection using thermal wave imaging. In Thompson, DO, Chimenti, DE, eds., Review of Progress in quantitative non-destructive evaluation, Vol. 14, 431-438, (1995)
- Stifter, D. et al, Polarisation-sensitive optical coherence tomography for material characterisation and strain-field mapping, Appl. Phys. A 76, 947, (2003)
- Yan, D. et al. Measurement of the ultrasonic nonlinearity of kissing bonds in adhesive joints NDT&E International, pp. 459-466, (2009)
- Croxford, A. J. et al., The use of non-collinear mixing for nonlinear ultrasonic detection of plasticity and fatigue, JASA, doi:10.1121/1.3231451.
- Lefebvre, A. H., Atomization and Sprays, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation New York, ISBN 0-89116-603-3, p. 87, (1989)
- Rosin, P., Rammler, E., The Laws Governing the Fineness of Powdered Coal, J. Inst. Fuel, Vol. 7, No. 31, pp. 29-36, (1933)
- Bolis, C. et al., Physical approach of adhesion test using laser driven shock wave, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 40, No. 10, pp. 3155-3163, (2007)
- Arrigoni, M. et al., A comparative study of three adhesion tests (EN 582, similar to ASTM C633, LASAT (LASer Adhesion Test), and bulge and blister test) performed on plasma sprayed copper deposited on aluminium 2017 substrates, J. Adhesion Sci. Technol., Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 471-487, (2006)
- Vossen, J. L., Measurement of Film-Substrate Bond Strength by Laser Spallation, Adhesion Measurement of Thin Films, Thick Films, and Bulk Coatings, ASTM STP 640, Mittal, K.L, Ed., American Society for Testing and Materials, 1978, pp. 122-133
- Gupta, V., System and method for measuring the interface tensile strength of planar interfaces, US PATENT No. 5 438 402, (1995)
- Berthe, L. et al., State of the art for Laser Adhesion Test (LASAT), to be published in Non Destructive Testing and Evaluation, 2011
- Jagdheesh, R. et al., Interfacial strength measurement of bonded aluminium foils by laser driven shocks, Proceedings of Surface Modification Technologies XXII, eds. Sudarshan, T.S. and Nylen, P., pp. 3-10, (2009)
- Bossi, R., NDE developments for composite structures, Review of quantitative non-destructive evaluation Vol 25, (2006)
- Bossi, R. et al., Laser Bond Testing, Mater. Eval. 67, pp. 819-27, (2009)
- Perton, M. et al., Laser shock waves for adhesive bon testing, Proceedings of International SAMPE conference, (2010)
- Perton, M. et al., Adhesive bond testing of carbon-epoxy composites by laser shockwave, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 44 034012, (2010)