This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High-Performance Grid Computing for Cummins Vehicle Mission Simulation: Architecture and Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 13, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an extension of our earlier work on Cummins Vehicle Mission Simulation (VMS) software. Previously, we presented VMS as a Windows based analysis tool to simulate vehicle missions quickly and to gauge, communicate, and improve the value proposition of Cummins engines to customers. We have subsequently extended this VMS architecture to build a grid-computing platform to support high volume of simulation needs.
The building block of the grid-computing version of VMS is an executable file that consists of vehicle and engine simulation models compiled using Real Time Workshop. This executable file integrates MATLAB and Simulink with Java, XML, and JDBC technologies and interacts with the MySQL database. Our grid consists of a cluster of twenty Linux servers with quad-core processors. The Sun Grid Engine software suite that administers this cluster can batch-queue and execute 80 simulations concurrently.
The scale and computing power of this platform has enabled us to automate VMS software testing, perform complex analyses to better the product-to-customer fit of Cummins engines, and deploy optimization tools for improving vehicle performance and fuel efficiency.
This paper presents the hardware and software architecture of this high-performance grid-computing platform and application case studies.
CitationBelludi, N., Receveur, J., and Raymond, J., "High-Performance Grid Computing for Cummins Vehicle Mission Simulation: Architecture and Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2268, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2268.
- Belludi, N. Raymond, J. Receveur, J. Hosagrahara, A. “Cummins Vehicle Mission Simulation Tool: Software Architecture and Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1997 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1997
- Carr, N. “Does IT Matter? Information Technology and the Corrosion of Competitive Advantage,” Harvard Business Press Watertown, MA 9781591394440 2004
- Plaszczak, P. Wellner, R. “Grid Computing: The Savvy Manager's Guide,” Morgan Kaufmann Burlington, MA 0127425039 2005
- Templeton, D. “Beginner's Guide to Sun Grid Engine 6.2, Installation and Configuration,” White Paper Sun Microsystems Santa Clara, CA 2008
- The Globus Alliance “The Open Grid Service Architecture (OGSA,)” http://www.globus.org/ogsa Aug 2010
- Kaner, C. Bach, J. Pettichord, B. “Lessons Learned in Software Testing,” Wiley 9780471081128 2001