This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Load Calculations for Slewing Bearings with Eccentric Radial Loads
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 13, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Single row four point contact ball bearings are routinely used as slewing bearings to take heavy loads under a combination of eccentric axial load and radial load for applications such as excavators, cranes, etc. The calculation method of the equivalent loads for the slewing bearings was introduced in SAE 2010-01- 1892.1) However, in this previous paper the calculation method could not be applied when an axial load does not exist. The specific case with no axial load but with a moment due to an eccentric radial load is introduced in this paper. When the eccentric radial load is applied, the bearing takes ball loads on both sides of each raceway. As a result, simple equations were obtained to calculate the static and dynamic equivalent loads, as well as the safety factors and bearing lives for slewing bearings under this condition. This method is used for the case when a bearing is mounted on a horizontal axis and loaded by a moment due to an eccentric radial load, such as large wheel change equipment for off-road heavy duty machinery.
|Technical Paper||Load Calculations for Slewring Bearings|
|Technical Paper||Safety Factor and Life Calculations for Cross Roller Slew Ring Bearings|
|Technical Paper||Axial Equivalent Load for Slew Ring Bearings under an Eccentric Axial Load|
CitationKashino, N., "Load Calculations for Slewing Bearings with Eccentric Radial Loads," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2154, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2154.
- Kashino, N. “Load Calculation for slewing bearings” SAE paper 2010-01-1892
- Harris, T.A. Kotzalas, M.N. “Rolling bearing analysis - Essential concepts of bearing technology” 2007 Taylor & Francis
- Okamoto, J. “Calculation of ball bearings” Dec 2009
- International Standard “Rolling bearings - Static load ratings”
- International Standard “Rolling bearings - Dynamic load ratings and rating life”
- ISO/TR 10657 “Explanatory notes on ISO 76” 1991
- Yoshitake, T. Okamoto, J. “Rolling bearing handbook” Jan 1996