This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Field Test of Semi-permanent use of Engines and Lube Oil with Almost No Wear and with Constant Thermal Efficiency
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new type of lube oil cleaning system is successfully developed for semi-permanent use of oil by always keeping oil clean with the result of no oil change and no waste oil. It is in practical use in many marine diesel engines and in some other fields. In recent years, possibility of semi-permanent use of engines themselves has been expected based on the field data. A ship test for 7 years has verified the expected semi-permanent use of engines with almost no wear and constant thermal efficiency during the test. We present the characteristics of the oil cleaning system and the result of the test. Also, a new type of fuel oil cleaning system is presented which is useful for cleaning low quality fuel oil.
As a whole, this test is the beginning of the new stage of our work following the semi-permanent use of lube oil, which has been verified and established in many diesel engines since the 1980s.
CitationHashimoto, M., Azuma, T., Sumimoto, M., and Mitsuda, K., "Field Test of Semi-permanent use of Engines and Lube Oil with Almost No Wear and with Constant Thermal Efficiency," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2113, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2113.
- Azuma, T. Sumimoto, M. Kimura, I. A Study on Nearly Non-oxidation Characteristics of Lubricating Oil and a New Lub and Fuel Oil System for Semi-permanent Use of Lub Oil, No Waste Oil and Higher Reliability in Marine Diesel Engines Proceedings of 23rd CIMAC Congress May 7 10 2001 Hamburg, Germany 3 1180 1195
- Hashimoto, M. Dan, T. Inoguchi, Y. Azuma, T. Experimental Study on Spreadability of Lubricating Oil Proceedings of 7th ISME 2005 Tokyo Oct. 24 28 2005
- Sumimoto, M. Hashimoto, M. Azuma, T. Semi-permanent Use of Lube Oil and Engines without Oil Change and No Waste Oil by Clean Engine Technology International Symposium on Marine Engineering (ISME) 2009 BEXCO Busan Oct. 2009
- Kittelson, David B. Engines and Nanoparticles: A Review J. Aerosol Sci. 29 5/6 575 588 1998
- Azuma, Tadanori Sumimoto, Morio Kimura, Isao A Technology for Semi-permanent Use of Lubricating Oil, No Waste Oil, Improvement of Reliability and Keeping High Thermal Efficiency in Engines Proceedings of JSAE 975 1997 10 241 244
- Sasaki, A. Adhesion of Oxidized Oil Journal of The Japan Hydraulics & Pneumatics 1996 11 50 53
- Tazuki, Shogo The Best Management of Fuel Oil and Lube Oil Seizando (Bookstore) 1981 205 210
- Azuma, Tadanori Sumimoto, Morio Kimura, Isao Semi-permanent Use of Lubricating Oil and No Waste Oil in Marine Diesel Engines Journal of Marine Engineer's Society in Japan (JSME) 35 3 2000 3 178 189
- Hashimoto, Masataka et al. Experimental Study of Blackened Oil in Gas Engines Journal of JIME 39 10 2004 10 11 18
- Hashimoto, Masataka Inoguchi, Yuhei Azuma, Tadanori Experimental Study on Blackening of Lubricating Oil under High Temperature Journal of JIME 41 2 2006 125 132
- Sumimoto, Morio Azuma, Tadanori Reduction of Operation and Maintenance Cost by Technology for Clean Engine Proceedings of the 7 th ISME Tokyo, Paper No.33-3
- Sakurai, Toshio Physical Chemistry of Tribology Saiwai Syobo 1995 178 258
- Kimura, Yoshitsugu Norose, Susumu Analysis and Measures for Tribology Tekuno Sisutemu 2003 565 577